10 • Betrayed & Heartbreak •

 And so, the exchange of letters began

 And so, the exchange of letters began. Anahita would write two separate letters to the siblings. The letters will reach the Khan mansion by Gopi, an eight-year-old boy whose parents and Nani work for the Agarwal's. And as decided, Asif and Nausheen will not share the letters. What Anahita writes to them was their secret.

They conversed through letters better because it was more intimate than a phone call.

Anahita would always read Asif's letters last and often found herself re-reading them. Many times, it crossed her mind to ask about the scars. But, she controlled her urges. His words were soothing and his command over the language made it even more of a delight to read.

Some strong words made her refer to an Urdu dictionary that Nausheen had gifted her. While some words sounded so romantic, even though they weren't.

The language intrigued Anahita by watching the film titles that popped in Hindi, English, and Urdu. The language interested her more when she heard Nausheen and other Muslim girls converse in it. She requested her friend to teach her the language, which she avidly obliged.

Though her father knew the language, she didn't ask for his help.

One day, Anahita sat at the dressing table admiring her gift from her father. She was stunned as Naman casually walked in. Still dressed in her sleeveless nightdress, she was scandalized by the young boy's sudden entry. Though he was ten; it was uncomfortable.

And rude.

"Hey, don't you have any manners?" She reprimanded him as she loosely wrapped a shawl that Dhani passed to her. The lanky boy looked indifferently at her.

"What manners? Don't you have the decency to lock your room?" He shrugged. His arrogant attitude enraged Anahita and before she knew it, she had slapped him across his face.

"Where is your mother? Hasn't she taught you anything?"

Naman clenched his fist, keeping the other hand on his burning cheek. Anahita kept fuming at him. In response, he grabbed her open hair and violently pulled it. She winced, trying to free her locks. Then the guy pushed her hard, making her fall to the ground.