55 • Afterthoughts & Changes •

❝Tere liye hum hain jiye

Tere liye hum hain jiye

Har aansu piye

Dil mein magar jalte rahein

Chaahat ke diye tere liye, tere liye

Chaha tha kya, paya hai kya humne dekhiye

Dil mein magar jalte rahein

Chaahat ke diye tere liye, tere liye

Anahita sat on the bench swing in the garden

Anahita sat on the bench swing in the garden. Her feet up and back resting against the cushions. Abhaiveer sat on a metallic chair watching her, while Nausheen sat at her feet.

Anahita knew it would be tough. But this reaction was farfetched for her. She kept her eyes closed and her palm pressed against her forehead.

Someone cleared their throat and then, Nausheen said in a small voice, - "Bhaijaan!"

Anahita opened her eyes and straightened in her seat.

"I hope I don't—" Asif hesitated.

"Please, Mr. Khan." Abhaiveer offered his chair to him. Asif politely declined. He whistled to a boy clipping the bushes.

"Chaand, get me a chair from inside."

"Till the chair comes, I insist, Mr. Khan." Abhaiveer spoke tenderly.

Asif smiled. Anahita didn't miss the sadness on his face. Unlike before, his smile didn't make his face glow. Though slight dents appeared on his cheeks.

"Don't fret, Abhaiveer. I am used it to by now." He pointed towards his cane. Anahita looked away, feeling the heaviness return.

She kept her head lowered throughout the time the two men conversed. They were now in first-name terms. Anahita was alerted when Asif had a fit of cough. Nausheen hyper-reacted while Abhaiveer called for water urgently. Tears pooled her eyes as she watched him clench his walking stick, cover his mouth as he coughed.