37 • Marriage Plans •

Anahita was waiting for Asif to return from work

Anahita was waiting for Asif to return from work. He walked through the main door, called for water, and sat down on the couch in the living room. Anahita watched him as he removed his shoes, loosened his tie. She walked towards him. Before she could lash out at him, she noticed the strained lines on his forehead. Asif relaxed his back against the sofa and sighed, then opened his eyes.

"Anahita!" He exclaimed, straightening. Instantly, his face lit as he smiled at her.

"How was things at court?" She asked in a gentle tone and sat beside him, leaving a decent gap between them.

"Hmm, tiring. But there is a lot to learn." He rested again, closing his eyes. Anahita observed him until Raza Chacha got a glass of water. He asked to her as well, but she refused.

After Asif had relaxed, Anahita spoke, - "Asif, Mother had come. She was requesting me to return."

He nodded thoughtfully, - "So, what have you decided? Is it safe?"

"When are we getting married?" She blurted instead.

"What?" Asif straightened, giving her a puzzled look.

Anahita rolled her eyes, - "Mother wants me to get married. Your Badi Ammi and Dadi are coming to fix your alliance. Where are we in this, Asif?" Tears brimmed in her eyes and her voice shook towards the end.

"What?" Startled, Asif looked away, thought for a moment and looked back, - "I remember telling them to drop their plans of getting me married to Husna." He caressed his chin, - "Who told you this?"

"Nausheen."

Asif's expressions relaxed, - "Arey! She knows nothing. Just assumes things. Anahita, relax. Okay?"

"So, what are your plans for our marriage? As soon as possible. That will end all of our problems." Anahita folded her arms.

Asif exhaled deeply, - "Don't hurry things, Anahita. Before we decide to get married, we need to discuss the obvious."

"Mother says we won't work. Do you think the same?" She was about to cry now.

"We can work and we will. But I don't want you to regret later. I want you to be sure."