Chapter 24: Marriage Proposal

***

Meixing was blabbering incoherent words while making odd gestures. Zhan was perplexed by his daughter's reaction but he chose to go with the flow.

He showed the news on television. Mr. Xiao was arrested and it cause a great pandemonium the other day. He never knew that he would see his father's face and crimes in the contents of news headlines from the sun strikes until the sky turned dark. 

He knew that Yibo had to do something about it. Zhan wanted to divulge the truth and revealed that he was a rape victim but he didn't have any ambitions to retaliate against his father. He just wanted him to know that he was telling the truth the whole time but they didn't believe him.

He just wanted to show his face after the truth was revealed, so he could have his confidence back once more.

His father was like a tyrant, despotic and intimidating. He hated his malleable personality. Through constant therapy, he had come to realize that his father manipulated him too much. He manipulated his mind and constantly fed him with wrong beliefs which resulted in him thinking that no matter how hard he tried, no matter how diligent he may be, he would never be enough for him. Those slowly devoured his confidence and made him feel inferior.

Yibo had introduced a good psychologist to him. Her name was Lisa. She was 30 years old. She had a bubbly personality and always had a smiling face. She was adorable too and she's an omega like him so he was comfortable having her asking questions, trying to calm him, reflect on his past experiences, and help him to heal. She knew her boundaries and limitations, and Zhan grew fond of her.

Maybe being assaulted made him explode. With all those constant gaslighting of his father, and being betrayed by his stepbrother. Those led him to explode and when he did, it was lethal and became unstoppable.

Still, he had some episodes but they came shorter as time passes by.

June came soon and now it was the 10th day of July. Zhan turned and saw the pictures of him and Meixing. He visited Yubin and the farm last June. To be honest, he was reluctant to leave when he visited the place. The workers welcome them warmly and he had a great time being with Yubin. Meixing also had a lot of fun. The baby enjoyed being the center of attention. The vegetable and fruit fields were filled with baby laughter every morning. The elders liked to have his daughters around and he happened to know a lot about Yibo's security team. They were all tall, big, and full of robust men. So they were often mistaken to be ruthless and intimidating. But the truth was, they were all big softies. They reminded him of a big teddy bear stuff toy.

They were adorable. They might look scary when you came to encounter them for the first time. But their appearance was just a facade. In contrast, they were kind and gentlemen indeed.

So Zhan cannot resist but take pictures. He thought to himself, that he could always look back and reminisced these sweet memories if he kept these photos, safely.

He laughed when he saw the picture of Meixing holding a big strawberry, afraid to let it go. She had a very serious expression at that time. He remembered how much his daughter cried when he jokingly tried to snatch that strawberry from her grip.

He turned to face Meixing and showered the baby's cheeks with kisses. The baby's laugh and her giggling voice echoed around the room. He stayed in the nursery room. He will just feel lonely if he stayed in his room.

Yibo took Meixing's safety as his priority when he started decorating this whole room. Pink mats and soft fabrics covered the entire floor, along the edges. They covered a few meters of the walls afraid that when Meixing might have an accident and bump her head and get hurt. It was a bit too much for Meixing just turned 6 months old last month. She didn't even know how to walk yet, but then Yibo came up with this whole idea. Securing every area, covering sharp edges that may cause injury to the baby.