“What about you and Eva?” He asks leaning back against the railing, crossing his arms across his chest. I try not to stare at the sheer broadness of his chest, brushing a stray hair behind my ear as a light breeze blows across the balcony.

“Eva’s older by three minutes. She was always the mature one, until Dante. His rejection almost killed her, she became a shell of who she was, so uncertain and unpredictable, but I’m happy to say she’s doing well these days. She and Dante sorted their issues out.”

Knox nods thoughtfully.

“What about you and Alpha Gage? Do you think you’ll ever work things out?”

It’s a question I’ve asked myself numerous times since Eva and Dante got back together. Would I give Gage a second chance? Hela’s answer resounds loud and clear, as it always does.

“No. He didn’t want me when he could have had me. Now he never will.” Hela’s pride is immense, she rears in my eyes and I see Knox’s wolf respond, his eyes rimming gold in acknowledgment and understanding.

Hela reads a strange sense of relief from Knox but I push it aside. I don’t need to be reading things that may not be there. Apart from the obvious attraction, there is nothing here for me.

Wolves can be temperamental. Some will take rejection badly and the after-effects can tear their human apart. Others, like Hela, move on quite well but are hardened. She never looked at Gage the same after his rejection. In her eyes, he was no longer worthy of her love. She would have given herself freely to him and unconditionally. Neither of us opened up again to another wolf. Until now.

I have to haul her back as she eyes the powerful Alpha before us, his wolf surfacing. It’s impossible for me to not feel the attraction between us. The same attraction I’ve felt since I met Xander. It’s completely confusing but at the same time, it doesn’t feel wrong.

I pull my gaze away from Knox’s intense examination, absently tracing my foot along the diamond tile pattern beneath my feet.

An awkward silence descends between us as thick tension fills the air. I can’t stop the rush of blood under my skin, the thudding of my heart in my ears, and the tremble in my fingers as Knox’s scent wafts around me powerful and intoxicating.

I should move, leave, but I’m transfixed.

Loud applause jolts me as Xander wraps up his speech.

Knox clears his throat. “It’s my turn. Don’t leave, please. I’ll be back in a minute.” He brushes my elbow gently and I find myself nodding, unable to find my voice.

“Thank you.” He whispers, and I watch him disappear behind thick curtains. I turn to star gaze again wondering what in the hell am I doing.

I must be crazy to even be here talking to these Alphas. I know what they want. Xander has made it fairly obvious and if I’m honest with myself there’s a part of me that wants to let go and give in to the illicit dreams and fantasies that have plagued me for nights. But those fantasies didn’t include two wolves, and yet absurdly I’m not repulsed by the thought.

I’m a rejected, unmated female, no one would pass any judgement on me if I chose to hook up with either of them - or both of them. Especially here in Crescent City where as they say, anything goes.

I shiver in the chill air, biting hard on my lip as the sewn seed blooms. My heart pounds at the thought of both Xander and Knox touching me. Kissing me. Fucking me.

Oh goddess. I need to get the hell out of here!

With a panicked gasp, I turn to leave the balcony, halting as I find Xander leaning against the door frame with his hands deep in his pockets. He tilts his head examining me with a predatory and fiery gleam in his eye. He has not forgotten my last words.