50. Interrupted

As I sat at my vanity waiting for the hairstylist to finish, I kept stealing glances through the mirror at Wyniee who was in conversation with a few girls. Her short blonde hair elegantly sat on her shoulder and her skin had a glow to it, probably from a shimmer oil. The peach corset she wore had fruit jewels in the embroidery and a delicate transparent mesh.

The stylist stepped away after she'd done some finishing touches, leaving me by myself. Ever since Sephora had mentioned Wynnie, I just couldn't stop wondering whether approaching Wynnie was a s mart idea or not. But, as the girls she was talking with walked away, this seemed a good a time as any so, I got up and went over to her.

"Wynnie, hi, I hoped that we could talk for a second?" As soon as I spoke to her, I felt awkward. Was this a mistake, after all?

"Jia, long time no see" As soon as she acknowledges me she gives me the side eye, but I had no idea what she was talking about.

"Long time no see? Do we know each other?" I asked point blank, which only seemed to annoy her further.

"Why did you bother talking to me if you're planning to keep acting like you don't know me?" She huffed. It hit me like a tiny pebble right there.

"Oh, no.. I'm so sorry. I.." I looked around before pulling her aside behind the tall vanity mirror. Hopeing to keep our conversation from prying ears, seeing as the dressing room was swarming with girls as they prepared for the night.

"What is it?" Wyniee asked, confused by my actions but not resisting my pull in the slightest.

"It's just that I had an accident and I lost all my memories. I'm sorry if I didn't recognise you. It's not that I was purposely avoiding you.." I tumbled over my words as I tried my finest to explain. It was as though that same pebble of realisation hit her, too.

"Oh.. oh my god. No, I'm the one that should be sorry. Are you alright? What happened?" She was quick to flip her attitude completely, which brought a wave of relief over me.

"I honestly don't know what happened. That's what I've been trying to figure out." I sighed.

"That's.. wow. I don't even know what to say. It totally makes sense now, though. But.." she nibbled at her lip in hesitation.

"So.. Can I ask, were we friends before?" I asked.

"Oh, you really don't remember?" Her brows furrowed.

"No.. There are a few things I remember, but there are still a lot of blanks that I've been trying to fill in.." I admitted. I still didn't know how close we were in the past, but I got a reassuring feeling from her, like she was someone I could confide in.

"Okay, I'm about to tell you everything that I know."

"Alright" A flicker of hope shone though at the prospect of more light being shed on my past. This was something I'd been waiting for, hoping to get for such a long time.

I tried to zone out of the chatter and laughter that filled the dressing room around us as Wyniee took a moment to gather her thoughts.

"So, we first met when you started working at a hostess club named All Black. Now that I think back on it," she tapped her finger against her chin in thought, "I can't remember you ever telling me many personal details or anything."

"You were close with a few of us back then. Do the names Mimi or Cece ring a bell for you? She asked.

"No.." I replied, trying to search my memories but coming up empty-handed.