Chapter 21

My heart was pounding as I re-saddled the beautiful mare. I led her out of the barn and mounted up. I urged her off in a fast canter, taking off down the forest lane. She waded across the pond's shallows, and the moment she reached the shore of Thunderbird ranch, I urged her into a gallop and then a fast run.

My heart was pounding in my chest, and I could hardly breathe. I could feel it in my heart and see how the mare responded to me; Aiden had trained this horse. The two of us flew across the pasture, cresting the hill before Thunderbird ranch, but I didn't slow her, not this time.

We sailed down the hill and thundered into the entrance to the ranch. I pulled the mare up to a sudden stop just as the front door to the ranch house opened, and Aiden came flying down the steps to meet me as I dismounted.

"Taylor! Are you alright?" He asked as I threw myself into his arms, wrapping my arms around his neck. I didn't care who was watching at that moment either. His arms came around me, his face turning into my hair.

"Aiden, thank you, she's beautiful," I muffled into his neck. His arms tightened around me, and I heard a chuckle through my hair.

"Who said she was from me?" I laughed and almost cried at the same time.

"Did you really think I wouldn't figure it out?" I pulled back to look into his deep blue eyes. He had a small playful smile on his face. "I would recognize one of your horses no matter what. Your training is as good as a fingerprint, Aiden, so no playing dumb," I scolded him. His smirk spread, and his eyes had amusement dancing in them, but he still said nothing.

"Since you're here, can I offer you some dinner?" He smirked at me.

I laughed and nodded, warning him, "I'll get you to admit it before I'm through with you!"

He laughed and nodded at the horse, saying, "You better go lead her to the hitching post first."

"Why? If I put the reigns on the ground, she'll just stand there," I sassed at him, making him throw his head back on some delicious laughter that made my heart speed up.

He smirked at me and caressed my face, saying gently, "Go on." I smiled at him and walked her to the hitching post, returning to Aiden.

He reached out and took my hand, leading me into the ranch house after him. He walked us into the kitchen and dished us up a couple of plates, leading me out onto the veranda to sit and eat. The evening sounds of birdsong and crickets coupled with the distant sounds of the mess hall and a radio playing in his kitchen were peaceful.

"Are you alright, Taylor?" He asked me after we had eaten.

"Yes, thanks to you," I answered, looking up at him. "Thank you, Aiden. I'm sorry about what happened with Zeke."

"I'd do it again," he said, his eyes calm and soft. "Nothing's going to stop me from being there for you, Taylor, especially not Zeke," he said, turning to look over the view.

"How did you know?" I asked. He looked back at me and was quiet while he studied me for a long moment.

He turned back to look out over the view again as he quietly said, "I saw you go down. I was out in my pasture with my ranch hands, bringing in the herd and saw." Something in his voice was close to dread as his memories flashed over his eyes.

"You jumped the fence."

"Yes."

"Even though you knew Zeke would be furious, possibly pull a gun on you."

"Yes."

"Even though you could have gotten hurt yourself." He was silent, but he turned to me, looking at me carefully, studying me with his intense gaze.