Chapter 16

Aiden searched my eyes for a long moment, then sighed, tilting his head and gently kissing my forehead while he held my face. My eyes drifted close at the tender caress his lips brushed against me.

I released his face, and he pulled me tight to his chest to hold me. His hand came up and gently stroked my hair, his face leaning against the top of my head. My hands rested against his chest, rising and falling along with it as he breathed.

I could hear so much from his silence, his tender caresses communicating more than any words could have. He understood my pain; he had been through it before. He cared enough to not just listen but to help, to challenge, encourage, and to see. To see me, see into me, to see my heart behind it all. I felt like Aiden knew me better than any other person in my life, even though we had spoken only a little.

I melted into him, relaxing completely, giving myself over to his comforting, understanding touch. There was so much I felt in his arms. Here in his arms, I felt understood. I felt seen. I felt safe, safer than I had with any other since my father passed away. Aiden had earned my trust. Being around him was so calming and exciting at the same time; he calmed my fears while he made my heart beat faster at the same time.

I was taking deep breaths, breathing him in; leather, fresh hay, saddle soap, his aftershave. His warmth soaked into me more and more as I melted against his hard frame. I don't know how long we stood there like that, but I almost fell asleep; I was so at peace, the emotions from my story making me feel heavy. He chuckled a little when I jerked awake, drawing in a breath.

"Sorry," I mumbled. Aiden pulled back and smiled at me, caressing my face.

"You tired?" He asked, looking at me with affection. I almost didn't hear his question because I was so enamored with the look of affection on his face.

"Ugh. Crying does that to me, sorry," I blushed, looking down. He smiled at me and kissed me gently on the forehead again.

"Come on," he said gently. He reached and took my hand to lead me along after him. I melted a little inside when he interlaced our fingers.

He led us across the yard area and onto the wrap-around porch of his house. I looked around me with curiosity as he opened the front door, walked us through the living room, passing through a dining room, and into the kitchen. It was nice inside too.

I saw him pour us two glasses of what looked like juice. He handed one to me with a smile, taking up his own, still holding my hand. He walked us back out onto the porch. We walked around to the back of the house, and I smiled when I saw a bench swing hanging there.

He sat down, and I sat down next to him. He released my hand, and I felt a shy disappointment at the loss. His head tilted as he studied me, a tiny smile pulling at his lips.

He reached around, put his arm on the back of the bench swing, and started gently swinging us. I gave him another shy smile, unsure how to behave around him. He chuckled again, seeing my shyness. His arm slid around my shoulders and gently pulled me into his side.

"It's ok, Taylor," he chuckled. "Unless you're uncomfortable?" He looked down at me, and I met his eye, blushing and shaking my head 'no.'

I took a sip from my glass and was pleasantly surprised to discover that it was country-style cider, home-pressed and authentic.

"Where'd you get this?" I gently asked, taking another sip.

He laughed again and said, "It's from my orchard." I looked at him, surprised, and smiled. He smiled back at me, rubbing my arm with his hand.

I looked out over the view behind his house. It was a beautiful meadow, speckled with patches of wildflowers, with a backdrop of a forest and mountains in the background; it was breathtaking and so peaceful.