Chapter 21- Ledera

Riley's POV

Ice cream or popsicle? Or both. Wait no dad will notice if both things go missing. I grab the tub of ice cream and set it on the counter. I grab a bowl and a spoon. Scoping out the ice cream I put it in my bowl and start eating it. 

After finishing my ice cream I rinse the bowl and grab a cup. With my cup of water in hand, I hear the front door open and close. It's 1 in the morning who is up. I leave the kitchen with my cup of water. 

Opting out of making my presence known I quietly make my way closer to the person and the stairs. They must hear me as they turn around. 

The glass becomes loose in my hands and drops to the floor shattering against my bare feet. 

Oliver stands there with blood covering his white button-up. His knuckles painted with dried blood, a few blood splatters going across his face. 

I stand frozen as I stare at him in horror. He looks at me equally frozen. I don't know how long we stood there but everyone else ran down the stairs, I'm assuming my forgotten glass woke them up. 

Everyone gets down, my sisters minus Jessica come over to me and see what I see. We stare at him as everyone else has a look of disappointment and worry. 

"Oliver go upstairs and get cleaned up," Dad orders him. Oliver goes up and I follow his retreating feature. "Everyone else living room."

Everyone goes in front of us. Rory is the first to follow them and we soon follow her. I take a seat next to her on the couch. Dad is standing in front of us pacing slightly. Our siblings took up the seats around us. 

I watch Dad pace for who knows long, but Oliver comes down in clean clothes, his knuckles still red. I look away from him staring at the wall behind Dad. 

"I- we haven't been completely honest with you girls."

"You think," Ruby mutters. 

"Girls, I am the Don of the American Mafia."

"WHAT!" Ryan yells across the room, taking everyone by shock. 

"Cool!" Rory exclaims causing everyone to look at her weirdly. 

Me and Ruby are quiet. I mean I know they wouldn't hurt us they've proved that but a mafia. I don't know what that means. Do they kill people? Duh. Do they traffic people? I know we are in danger but how much danger. Will people come after us?

Are we in more danger knowing? Maybe if I pretend like I didn't hear them then all will be okay.

"This is so cool. Can I shoot a gun? Can I learn how to shoot a gun? Oh my god, this is so cool. Can I help, can I help? Please." She puts up her hands in a begging manner. What the hell.

"NO. You will not be helping. You will not be anywhere near the mafia." Jake tells her standing up and scolding her.

"But I'm near you guys. Unless you're lying about being the Don of the mafia then I have to be around some part of the mafia." She looked up at him challenging. 

"You two enough, you three any questions you have." Dad looks sheepishly at us. 

"Just one, do you sell people?" I ask them while staring at Dad giving him my best deadpan. 

"No, we never have. We mostly work with the weapons trade and provide a few smaller, nearby gangs with drugs."

"Ruby, you okay?" Jessica asks my only sister who hasn't said anything. 

"Yeah, yeah. I'm fine nothing like finding out your family is the American mafia and it could eventually lead to your death." She shrugs and stares wide-eyed at the coffee table. 

"You won't die. I promise you, girls." Dad tries to reassure us but why promise the inevitable when you can't control it. 

"Can we finish this talk tomorrow?" I ask Dad. He sighs but nods and I leave the room first. I rush up the stairs into my room laying face first in my bed. 

I hear a knock on my door. A muffled 'come in' lets them enter my room. I hear them walk over to my bed and sit down next to me. 

"Sit up Riley." Oliver's authority tone comes out making me turn my head to look at him. 

"Why?"

"Because I said."

I sit up looking at the window with him.

"Let me see your feet."

"Why you weirdo."

"You have a cut on your foot, I need to clean it if you don't want an infection." 

I bring my foot up so he can grab it. He grabs my foot and wipes an alcohol wipe over it. He cleans it up, it probably didn't need it since I never felt it. The cut isn't deep but I guess he wanted a reason to talk to me. 

"Are you okay?"

"Yeah, it didn't hurt."

"Not that."

"Growing up I had these dreams of having a family. I always wanted an older brother I never thought he would come home covered in blood but not all dreams come true." I breathlessly laugh. 

"Well, I'm sorry you had to see that."

"Ehh. Why were you covered in blood?"

"We had to deal with a mole, it was my job."

"Did you kill him?" 

"No, but I will."

"How many people have you killed?"

"I'm not sure it's been a lot though"

"What do you do?"

"I'm dad's second in command. I do the things he wants me to and handle the moles."

"Cool. Good night."

"Wait a second you got to ask me questions it's my turn." I roll my eyes. 

"Why were you awake?"

"I couldn't sleep."

"How often does that happen?"

"Most days, I get lucky a few nights and can sleep for a few hours." 

"Well move over then."

"What?"

"God, you're dense. Move over I'm staying with you tonight."

"Why?"

"Do you always ask so many questions? I'm your big brother it's my job to help you."

"Fine." I lay down and let him get next to me. After laying down I feel him hug me closer. I close my eyes pretending to be asleep but he runs his fingers through my hair lulling me to sleep.