Chapter Thirty: "Everything."

Začať od začiatku

“I just don’t know what to do right now…everything’s just falling apart and I might have to run away again…” I found my voice saying out loud, surprising even myself.

I hear the driver reply with a “mhmm, you’ve run away before, I assume?”

I don’t reply and, instead (even though he might not see me…which I secretly wanted to happen) nodded at his words.

“What good did it do to you?” he asks kindly, looking at me from his mirror.

What good did I get, exactly?

As if sensing what I was thinking, the driver made a tutting sound once again. “What happened when you tried to run away?” he questions, raising his eyebrow.

I tried to stop the urge to roll my eyes, “well…he kinda…followed me here,” or I followed him here, I’m not even sure.

Gerard literally followed me here. Alright, maybe he didn’t know I was moving here as well but, he did follow me here. In California. From New Jersey.

He smiles widely at me then the vehicle slows down. I took a quick peek out of the window and realized that we’re already on San Jose avenue, “uhm, there. By the white gate,” I point out.

“See? No one really runs away from their problems…so…why run away again? Are you willing to risk him following you?” he asks one last time before I stepped out of the cab and handed my cash.

I shrugged, as if to say, ‘I’m still confused.’

He seemed to know what’s in my head as he replied, “well, good luck to you, kid.”

“Thanks,” I smile softly before getting out and into the cold streets of California. “The coffee’s yours,” I comment as he snuck a glance at the back seat.

As soon as I got out, however, I spotted the familiar red pick-up truck that Billie uses. He’s here? I ask myself as my feet took me closer and closer to the direction of the main entrance and to the stairwell.

I reached the second floor and saw Billie sitting in front of my apartment door.

“Billie? What’re you doing here?” I ask, making sure that it is Billie I am talking to.

He stood up and noticed me standing at the other end of the hallway, “where have you been?” his voice was gentle yet firm and his eyes shone worry and anxiety.

I smile gently before kissing him on the cheek, avoiding his question, “let’s go inside first. It’s cold out here.”

I pull his hand to my door and, as I fumbled for the keys, his hands wrapped around my waist. I just smile knowingly and push the door open.

“So where were you?” Billie whispers near my ear as soon as we both stepped foot into the carpeted living room.