Ch. 18

Venus walks around the pool outside. She hears a twig snap nearby, then walks toward the sound to see a wolf staring at her. A voice behind her startles her and she whirls around.

Sabine: [smiles] You're not supposed to be out here.
Venus: [suspicious] Who are you?

Sabine: Sorry. I didn't mean to scare you. I'm Sabine. We met. I'm one of Sophie's friends.
Venus: [irritated] You're one of the witches.

Sabine: Sophie just asked me to come keep you company while everyone's out.
[She looks at the wolf curiously and gestures toward it, causing Venus to glance back at the wolf] You know, it's drawn to you. The children you're carrying is part vampire, part werewolf. You and Klaus made something special.

Venus: You sound like Elijah. He thinks these babies are going to make us one big, happy family, but now he's gone and I don't even know what... "they" are.

Sabine: You know, I can do something about that, if you want. I mean, find out if they're a boy or girl.
Venus: [confused] I thought you couldn't do witchy stuff around here.
Sabine: It's not magic, just an old trick my grandmother taught me. Come on. You have to be a little curious.

Cami and Marcel dance while Rebekah and Klaus watch from afar.

Cami: I thought you said you were in community work.
Marcel: Community fundraising. Throw a party, folks open their wallets. It's kind of my thing. Guess I'm what you call a necessary evil.

Cami: And Rebekah, she's one of your donors?
Marcel: [smiles tightly] She's an old friend.
Cami: Can't be that old. She looks younger than me.

Rebekah smirks at the compliment.

Marcel: You'd be surprised. I was a kid when I met her. [He sighs] Enough about her. I just want to be right here with you.

Across the courtyard, Klaus and Rebekah have their own conversation.

Klaus: You really are a hideously evil little thing, aren't you?
Rebekah: Nonsense. They're perfect for each other! You wanted Marcel distracted? Voilà. And I don't worry I won't tell Venus of your flirting with another woman tonight. [Klaus then has a minor flash of guilt shown across his face]

Diego enters the courtyard and sees Marcel dancing with Cami, their faces nearly touching each other. Diego looks anxious as he interrupts them and whispers in Marcel's ear.

Rebekah: [to Klaus] My cue to leave.

Diego seems to have explained to Marcel what Thierry did, because Marcel spots Thierry standing anxiously nearby and can barely contain his anger at the sight of him.

Marcel: [to Cami] Excuse me.

Marcel walks over to Thierry and grabs him by the throat, pushing him away from the main party. Cami watches in concern from the dance floor.

Marcel: [to Thierry] What the hell did you do?

Diego sees Cami watching from below and intervenes in their confrontation.

Doego: Whoa, not here. No, not here.

Marcel sighs deeply and backs off. Klaus, who is watching the drama unfold, looks pleased, but Cami looks unsettled by this display of aggression.

Katie and Sophie talk inside a candlelit mausoleum in preparation for their plan. Katie is sobbing, and though Sophie doesn't seem happy, she does comfort her in her own way.

Katie: I know you think he's a monster.
Sophie: It doesn't matter what I think. Thierry killed another vampire. He broke Marcel's biggest rule. You'll never see him again... unless we do something.

Katie: [confused] "We"?
Sophie: I want to save our people. You want to save Thierry? There's only one way we can do both.

A little while later, Katie and Sophie sit out in the cemetery, arranging items for a ritual.

Sophie: You ready?

Katie begins by sprinkling sand over their tableau. Cut to Davina's attic room in St. Anne's Church, where the whispering voices growing louder. Davina is in her bed and thrashes restlessly as she's disturbed by the sensation of their magic. After a moment, she jerks awake and sits up.

Davina: [whispers] Marcel. Something's coming.

Davina rises from her bed and goes to her easel. She draws on the paper madly for several seconds as she gets flashes of visions of Katie performing spell. After a moment, she stops.

Davina: Magic.

Marcel has pulled Thierry into a corner so they can discuss what just happened.

Marcel: [furious] I want to hear your side of it.
Thierry: [pleads] Hey, Marcel, come on—

Marcel: Your version. Go.
Thierry: We were tossing the Cauldron. This guy, some nightwalker, he attacked Katie for no reason.

Marcel: His name was Max. I turned him, and as far as reasons go, he doesn't need one. She was a witch. He was a vampire. Now? He's dead.

Cami is still watching their confrontation happen from the courtyard.

Thierry: [desperately] I didn't mean for it to happen.
Marcel: You broke my most important rule.
[He sighs angrily and glares at Thierry] Damn it, T. How long we been friends? Seventy years? I turned you into something that would never die. I gave you a gift.

Thoerry: And I have been loyal to you all this time, and I still am. I'm still your friend, Marcel. I swear, that hasn't changed.

Cami is still watching Thierry and Marcel apprehensively when Klaus joins her in the courtyard.

Klaus: Are you all right, love?
Cami: He's got a temper, doesn't he? I guess this is the moment I remember I know better.

Cami looks sad and disappointed as she walks away. Josh walks up to Klaus, standing slightly behind him as Klaus reaches into his coat's inner pocket, withdraws a folded piece of paper and hands it to him. Josh quickly pockets the paper and walks away. Klaus watches the balcony as Josh then appears next to Marcel and hands him the document.

Josh: We found this at his girl's place.

Marcel opens the folded paper, revealing that it is actually fancy parchment with the components of a complicated spell written out. Marcel looks even more angry when he recognizes the spell.

Marcel: Still my friend, huh? That's funny, because it looks to me like that little witch of yours got her hands on a spell that I keep locked away.
Thierry: [frantic] Marcel, I have never seen that.

Marcel: Shut up. I see on your hand, you still have the daylight ring I gave you. So, what would you need with the recipe for making new ones? Unless maybe you and Katie were gonna go off and start a little kingdom of your own?

Thierry: [confused] Marcel, no!
Marcel: Here's a lesson in friendship-- friends don't lie to me, they don't break my rules, and they do not steal what is mine.

Marcel, realizing he's losing his temper, turns his back to Thierry to take a deep calming breath before turning back to him, his eyes filled with rage.

Marcel: [shakes his head in disbelief] Ohh... For the crime of murdering one of his own, I sentence Thierry Vanchure to one hundred years in the Garden.

Below, on the dance floor, Klaus smirks proudly

Klaus: And it begins...

Klaus although happy to see his plan working, can't help but be racked with guilt. His girlfriend still hasn't looked at him, and he sees her clenching her jaw constantly.