12. Running up that hill

Depuis le début

"Yeah, yeah, yeah. Listen, um...can you pick me up a six-pack? I know, it's stupid as shit, drinking right now, but a cold beer would really calm my jangled nerves."

I smirk, "oh really? A cold beer or me?"

"I mean, you would work just fine, I miss you too much but I think both."

I look over to Max to check on her but I noticed she was gone. I felt my heart race as I turn away.

"Eddie, I love you, but I'm gonna have to call you back."

"No, don't you da-"

I pushed the cord back down and set down the Walkie-Talkie. I went to Dustin and shoved him till he woke up.

"Dustin! Wake up! Aren't you supposed to be on Max watch?!"

"Yep. Yep. Yep, yep, yep, yep." He said while rubbing his eyes, "sorry."

"Then where is she??"

He pointed to the couch, "she's right there—a second ago. I swear, I just dozed off for...an hour..."

We rushed upstairs and then paused as we saw Max at the table, listening to music and coloring.

"Morning, guys!" Mrs.Wheeler said, "everything okay?" She asked us.

Nancy nods, "Yeah. Yeah, everything's okay."

"I think it's so sweet that you guys are sticking together like this." Mrs.Wheeler said with a smile.

"Could try sticking together at a different house for a change." Mr.Wheeler said and looked up from his newspaper.

I sighed as Nancy went to Max. I just took a piece of bacon from Mrs.Wheeler, thanked her, and walked back downstairs.

•••

We all got out of the car and looked at this old house Nancy said she claimed was a replica of the drawing Max drew. When we walked up to it, Steve took out a hammer he brought and took out the nails from the door.

"What exactly are we supposed to be looking for in this shithole?" Steve asked.

I shrugged, "who knows."

"We just know this house is important to Vecna." Nancy mentioned.

"Because Max saw it in Vecna's red soup mind world?" Steve asked.

"Basically." I said.

"Great."

"Maybe it holds a clue to where Vecna is. Why he's back. Why he killed the Creels. And how to stop him before he comes back for Max." Dustin said, determined.

Lucas shrugged, "we don't think he's here...do we?"

I sigh and walked up to the boarded up front door.

"Guess we'll find out."

I helped Nancy and Steve rip the plywood off but the door was locked to the inside. As they tried to figure out how to get in, I grabbed a brick and threw it through the window, making it make a hole. As Steve reached through and unlocked it, he pushed the door opened wide. As we walked inside, I felt something inside me tell me it wasn't good to be in here.

"Guys, I don't already like this." I said.

"It's fine." Dustin assured me and walked past me.

I scoff, "fine? We are way past fine—this is god damn awful—it reeks of rat shit too." I said and covered my nose.

Nancy then tried turning on a lamp but it didn't work, "looks like someone forgot to put their electric bill."

I look at him, "no shit."

Then Dustin took out a flashlight and turned it on. Steve furrowed his brows.

"When did everybody get those?" He asked.

Dustin looked at him, "Do you need to be told everything? You're not a child."

Steve nods, "thank you."

I gulped and looked at Steve, "Eddie was on the Walkie today, he said he would need another food delivery soon—but I disconnected from him because of the whole Max thing this morning—but...I think he might need some food? To just be checked on since it's been hours?"

He shrugged, "your precious boyfriend's gonna be fine. The thing he'll need is hair products maybe for his luscious locks of hair he's got."

I smirked, "oh really? You jealous of his hair?"

He gave me a look, "no. I personally love my hair and the chicks dig it."

I roll my eyes, "are you sure? Because this whole time you've been looking for a girlfriend—like that's YOUR mission. Instead of Eddie and Vecna it's hot babes."

He nods, "yeah. Pretty much."

I folded my arms, "but I think Eddie's hair actually attracts the women. Take notes."

I then walked away from him, leaving him speechless. He dropped the backpack with the walkie in it and other stuff. That's when we started wondering, searching for any clues.

.