BLOODIED MEMORIES PART 1 [KAZ BREKKER]

Start from the beginning

Kaz's eyes widened slightly, and he felt Jesper giving him a side glance. His heart began beating faster, water splashing at his feet, but he collected himself enough to answer to her.

"He was part of my gang once. But he's dead now." he replied, careful to keep his voice low.

Y/N's eyes widened. "What? When... what happened?" she asked, and Kaz felt Jesper frowning at him. He ignored the look, focusing on Y/N. He knew he'd never get forgiven if Y/N ever found out about the truth, so it was better to pretend he didn't know her.

"I don't really remember," said Kaz, shrugging. "A few years ago. He went off after someone. The person he wanted revenge on." He saw her shoulders fall in disappointment, and a twinge of guilt twisted inside his gut.

"Pekka Rollins," she mumbled. "He killed Kaz, then?"

Kaz didn't answer anything, just looked down and gripped his cane tighter. He was afraid that if he let Y/N see his face properly, she'd recognize him, and he'd have to face her anger, his regret, and this wasn't the day to have a heart-to-heart with her.

Y/N nodded, probably taking Kaz's silence as a confirmation. She dropped her gaze, and Kaz knew she was trying to keep tears in, she had probably learned that showing a weakness in Ketterdam was making you a target.

Jesper looked between Kaz and Y/N, and blurted out, "A young girl who's alone like you isn't safe here at the streets."

Kaz frowned as he turned to look at Jesper, and Y/N blinked at him.

"What do you mean?" she asked.

"I'm just... it's dangerous to be here alone. It's a wonder you haven't gotten robbed yet, or worse. Maybe we should take you somewhere else—"

Y/N cut him off. "I can handle myself."

"I'm not trying to lure you into some kind of trap," said Jesper. "But you don't know where you're going, what could happen to you. Barrel is full of con men, and since you're clearly distraught about the news you just got of your brother, you could need an escort to get out. See, this is Ka—"

"Dirtyhands," Kaz corrected Jesper with a glare, and he shut up with a confused frown. "I'm called Dirtyhands. Only my gang can call me by my real name."'

Y/N frowned at the words. "Dirtyhands? But... I thought that Dirtyhands is... uh..."

"A feared king of Ketterdam, with claws and sharp teeth?" Jesper supplied. "Yeah, that's him."

Y/N took a step back, suddenly her whole body trembling. Kaz swallowed again, he didn't like seeing his own sister being so afraid of him. Jesper seemed to realise that he said something wrong and shook his head.

"No no, don't be scared. He won't do anything unless you're his enemy."

"Everyone who's not a Dreg is my enemy, Jesper." Kaz grunted, but then sighed. "But I think this... girl won't pose a threat to me."

The last thing Kaz wanted was for Y/N to be frightened of him.

The sky tore open suddenly, sending a downpour on the market, and all the stalls began closing. Y/N looked between the two of them, worried, and Jesper reached shed off his coat as a gentleman he was, laying it on Y/N's shoulders.

"We have to take her to the Slat, you know?" he told Kaz. "I can't have her standing around in this rain."

Kaz grimaced briefly at the thought of Y/N possibly finding out about who he really was, but he didn't want to leave his sister again either. So he nodded at Jesper and the three of them went to have shelter at the Slat.