45 - Spring Break (6)

Start from the beginning

"Oh, Maddie." I hugged her tightly. "You were just looking out for me."

"But what I did was wrong." She mumbled, putting her head on my shoulder.

"No, it wasn't." I shook my head. "Looking out for your friend is a good thing, and I'm thankful to you, you care so much about me."

"Don't." She grumbled and got out of my arms, standing up from the bed. "Don't do this."

"I'm not lying Maddie, look at me." She looked at me when I got up and clasped her face in my hands. "I'm genuinely glad, and there was nothing wrong with what you did for me."

Gulping, she nodded her head and sighed. "Alright."

"Did you..." I let go of her face. "Did you go to someone for help?"

"For what?" She frowned.

"Maddie. What you're doing to yourself is not normal. You need to get some help." I said, careful not to infuriate her.

"Lilly." She burst out laughing. "I told you I'm not mad."

"Getting help doesn't mean you're mad."

"I'm fine by myself." She patted my shoulder.

"Alright... Then how about Jordan-"

"No way!" She shrieked. "Don't even think about telling him. He'll trip!" My eyes bugged out.

Don't tell me...

"Maddie... Does anyone else know about this?"

She snorted. "Of course, not. What do you think I'll go around telling everyone that 'Hey guys, I'm Maddie Lee and I cut myself when I can't control my feelings'? Bulls*t."

"But-"

"Don't please." She put her hands on my shoulder and looked deep into my eyes with her brown ones. "Don't mention this to anyone."

"Maddie-"

"I only told you this because you wouldn't let it slide and I trust you enough that you will not snitch on me."

"You need to tell someone-"

"No." she sternly said.

My eyes darted between hers and I saw how frightened she was. I couldn't force her to tell anyone about this because it's something she's not comfortable telling anyone, and it scared me she might hurt herself more.

Madeleine was a grown-up, but now looking at her made me feel like the little girl who saw her father struggling was still trapped inside and a wrong move could lead to something worse.

"I'll not tell anyone on one condition." I declared.

She darted her eyes between mine, thinking over it. "Shoot."

"Promise me you won't do it again."

"Lilly-"

"Promise me, Maddie, and I won't tell anyone." She licked her lips, letting go of me, and looked around.

"Fine." She sighed.

"Swear."

"I swear on my life." She crossed her heart and gave me her sweetest smile. "I won't do it again."

I pray she keeps her promise.

~•~ • ~•~ • ~•~

"Earth to Lillian." Tiana snapped her fingers in front of me, getting me out of my zone. "What's with the face?"

"You look constipated," Brittany muttered, pouring drinks into the cups.