Chapter 5: A Mere Fraction

On a distant planet, a civilization of humanoid foxes was going about their usual matter. Some trivial, but to them it was the end of the world. Looking upon these simple beings, they didn't have much, just a few cities that had some measure of technology. Enough to have light, running water and vehicles, this was a step to prosperity, if it were to last, sadly what is to come, will cut that short.

"Sir, I am picking up a strange signal coming off an asteroid."

The commander looked at his subordinate confused, "If it's an asteroid is shouldn't have a signal. Double check that Cadet."

The cadet keyboard began clacking, "It looks like an asteroid sir. But it's giving off the signal of an incoming ship. What to do?"

"Cadet did you just hear the dribble you just spat! How an asteroid giving off the signal of a ship?" The Commander approaches the cadet, looking at his screen. "Hmmm, you're not off. Keep an eye on that. Cadet 68, get me a clear image on Cadet 791 anomaly."

"Yes sir!"

An image appears on the big screen, it was just that, an asteroid. The commander scratches his head, "Hmmm, this hunk of nothing tripping off the system. It's nothing."

"Should I send a signal back sir?"

"No. I don't want to risk our planet because of some strange rock." The commander put his hand behind his back, making an about turn to leave the room.

Alarms then went off, the light shift to a stark red.

"What in blue mushrooms is going on!?!"

Each cadet frantically type, searching what caused the alarm to go off.

"Sir. The asteroid is on a collision course with our planet."

"Was it always?"

"No sir." Cadet 68 replied, "it was just sending signal, and was on a different path. Now it shift suddenly."

"Why?"

The cadet gasp, "Someone send a signal."

"What The- " the commander was furious, his nostrils fleared. The hair on his tail stood in end, "Who the hell send that signal, when I specifically said not to."

He scan the roof to see if anyone was looking suspicious, the he call them out from the stations, they all stood in a line, at attention saluting. None of the Cadets present acted in any usual way, he march between them, then pull up his walkie talkie, "this is Commander Nonis, I need another watch tower to see about the on coming threat. Operation Gairl zomea."

They respond, and gave him the alright.

"Now I don't know which one of you Skunks is a traitor. But trust me, I will go to any lengths to find out who, and make sure you pay for your sins."

"No need to" a distorted voice came from the big screen. Follow by three circles, coloured purple with a line connecting them together.

The commander scoff, "A virus eh. Smart, but not smart enough."

"No, very smart. Even if any one of them infected the system. Who is to say they are within this room. Or even in your military, city, county, country, continent, planet, solar system, galaxy. Maybe even the same universe."

"Our system is the best there is. Nothing on this planet can by pass our firewall."

"You are right about that."

The commander proudly retort, "Of course I am, that's why you ain't going to do much. Whatever access you have is limited, maybe civilian level at best. So good luck with your scheme."