Volume 1 Chapter 10: Dropping Like Flies...

Previously: She ran towards him dropping the empty enemy weapon. His right eye widened at her wrapping her arms around his neck. "I was so worried about you, Alex!" He heard heavy footsteps and so he pushed her into the building to hide. He held her close to his chest as his breathing became heavy and shaky. "Shhhh, their reinforcements have arrived." She looked around the corner and went into shock over the cybernetic wolves and the soldier's suit of heavy armor. "We don't stand a chance against them. Which means we need to run." Alex grabbed her hand and ran out the back towards the boarder of the city.

What felt like hours they finally got close enough to see the boarder of the state in sight. Blake and Stefan were screaming out for them to hurry before the gate closes on them. The enemy army was trailing behind and spraying the wall and open gate with deadly bullets. Blake and Stefan were giving them covering fire but just as soon as they past them Blake got shot in his chest, arm and head. The gate closed behind them but celebration wasn't on their minds at this point of time. They turned to see their dead comrade's body leaking of crimson red. Stefan scoffed annoyed with this entire situation and grabbed Lexi and Alex's hand as he pulled them away from his body. "We don't have any time to bury him or even say goodbye. Let's go!"

Havoc broke loose in the city's across the globe, there was no longer any where safe from death. Children crying over their parents corpse's without anywhere to go or anyone to give them guidance. It was like a scene in a apocalypse movie or something. No law and order holding the people together.

They were all heading towards a tunnel but the enemy was catching up with such intense speed. Stefan jumped out of the back of the vehicle and rolled forward to break his fall. "What are you doing!?" Lexi shouted out in a panic. He turned his head and looked over his shoulder as he pulled out a remote for explosives. "No! Don't do this, Stefan!" She was grabbed by Alexander and Major Thomas from behind before she jumped out the back.

Stefan stood there smiling happily at her as he pressed the button. He closed off the access to the city they were located in, by destroying all the nearby tunnels, including the one they were in. That bought the military enough time to retreat and get to the center of the country. Their vehicle just barely made out of the tunnel before the collapse. Lexington screamed out his name as they retreated to safety.

Two days later: The recent grief of losing their comrade and close friend was still hitting the team hard but war doesn't give people time to grieve or mourn. The sound of planes flying towards them from up above reached their ears. The ground began to rumble and tremble by the shear strength and weight of the foot soldiers coming from both sides. They were trying to swallow up the remaining U.S forces left in the states near Tennessee. They didn't have any other choice but to retreat even further. Alex and Lexi dashed past their comrades towards the tunnels, their last hope of escape this hell. A storm of bullets zoomed through their friends and comrades mercilessly. A few hit Alex and Lexi but they were just slight grazes. 

They were getting closer to the goal but then a soldier up ahead screamed out in desperation before he died. "I can see gas..." They both put on their gas masks but just as they reached the tunnel. A company of machine gun soldiers were guarding their only plausible exit. Lexi halted to a stop and tackled Alex to the ground. A stray bullet pierced her mask and went past her face. Alex heard her regular breathing become ragged and weak. He ripped off his mask and forced it on her face. "Live on for us, the squadron's will to fight. Is now with you, Lexi." He choked on the toxic air and died quickly. She screamed out with fighting spirit as she rushed towards the soldier's blocking her path. "Damn, you Nazis!" 

She reached the safe zone heartbroken for her lost comrade. Major Thomas asked where Lieutenant Alex was, but her silence gave him his needed answer.