Chapter 17

"That's..."

Why was he asking this?

At the Emperor's inquiry, Ellie replied awkwardly.

Sometimes, she brought leftovers, but that was good enough for Siervian. That's why she was confused about why she was shrinking in front of the Emperor.

"Tell me the truth."

"I tried to make it work with the remaining budget, but it wasn't easy..."

"So then?"

"...If my salary couldn't cover it, I often... get leftovers from another palace..."

Siervian was surprised—Ellie was suffering more than she expected, and it was all for her. Was that why Ellie disappeared once every evening?

As he heard the maid's words, the Emperor said nothing for a moment. However, Siervian could read what was going on inside his mind.

[ Alderuan Erveldote ]
Thoughts: God of Mana. What's the meaning of this? Just what have I...!

The Grand Chamberlain, who was beside the Emperor, was also taken aback. In fact, because he saw the desolate kitchen himself, he reacted more strongly. It was unbelievable that this was an Imperial Princess' Palace.

[ Paolo Velteman ]
Occupation: Grand Chamberlain of the Emperor's Palace
Favorability: 8,543
Mood: Shocked
Thoughts: Oh my goodness, our poor Princess. This is ridiculous!

Siervian couldn't understand their reactions. She was much happier now than when she was still eating Sarah's pepper soup.

...Or was it bad that she was eating another palace's food?

"Why didn't you tell me earlier. Why!" the chamberlain exclaimed.

"I apologize tremendously."

Despite Ellie's trembling body and relenting words, her voice was very determined. Then, she glanced up at the Emperor for a very short time, but bowed her head down immediately.

[ Ellie ]
Thoughts: Because I don't know who to trust. I can't even see His Majesty in person.

Siervian really couldn't understand.

The financial problem of the Princess' Palace also seemed to be someone's doing. Could it be the person who Siervian was thinking?

[ Alderuan Erveldote ]
Thoughts: Perhaps this maid is wary of the Empress.

Whenever Siervian thought about her previous life, this was something she couldn't wrap her mind around.

The Emperor was in charge of the external affairs of the state, while the Empress was in charge of the internal affairs of the Imperial Palace.

However, if a concubine would give birth to the Emperor's child, while the child was young, the concubine would be able to exercise authority.

'But in my case, since I don't have a mother, I'm under the authority of the Empress.'

It was customary for the Emperor to respect the Empress' authority as much as possible.

This was also delineated in the Empire's supreme law, which was called Pledge of the Emperor.

'That's why it couldn't be helped.'

It was natural that the Emperor would leave the Empress' duties in her hands. Even if something went wrong in the process, it wasn't Siervian's father's fault.

It was enough for Siervian to know that he believed her.

She comforted herself like this first without knowing why. Then, she watched as her father went down on one knee to be on her eye level.