Chapter 16

'Found it.'

After seeing the contents of the envelope, Siervian peeked up from the Emperor's arms, forgetting that she was shivering just now.

She looked like a baby bird taking a peek out of her nest for the first time. Everyone looked at her secretly, paying close attention to her cuteness.

[ Alderuan Erveldote ]
Favorability: +100
Favorability: +100
Thoughts: I'm worried about bringing you outside because you're so cute even though you're so scared. I'm proud that you're not being shy to me.

And with the envelope, a sack that came with it was wide open now, its contents thrown to the ground. In front of the Emperor, Ahim, who was quivering terribly, was on the floor, prostrating.

"Wait... This doesn't look like food waste."

The Emperor spoke indifferently, and it was true—even from a distance, the food looked quite normal. It would be strange for anyone to collect all of these in a sack like its garbage.

"And this is not the place for food waste to be dealt with," Hex added. "There's a separate area for that."

Siervian wasn't aware of this fact. She thought that this was just a place where things that were to be sent out were gathered.

"It's strange."

"Perhaps he's stealing food."

The Emperor's gaze was trained on the stableman bowing down with a blue face.

[ Ahim ]
Mood: Extremely terrified
Thoughts: I'm dead now!

Just as Hex speculated, the man might have been stealing food. The Princess' Palace food waste incident might have been a conspiracy that started out with different intentions.

However, Siervian couldn't take her eyes off Ahim's thoughts on the status window. Stealing food was a crime, but it wasn't an offense grave enough that he would be executed.

'I can't put my finger on it.'

She looked anxiously at the stableman's thoughts. However, perhaps because he was greatly frightened, the status window didn't change. He just kept thinking that he feared for his life.

Siervian thought that this wasn't just simple food theft.

"Let's find out more about it. This is too suspicious."

"Yes, Your Majesty."

Fortunately, the Emperor noticed that something was amiss, so he ordered an investigation.

"Go back for today."

He spoke to her in a cold tone again, to the point that the previous Siervian would have thought that she was being kicked out because she's useless in this situation.

However, because she could see her father's thoughts, she knew that he was just worried about her, even before they entered the stable.

[ Alderuan Erveldote ]
Thoughts: You must be surprised to see the knights. I need to let you rest.

So Siervian nodded carefully and let go of her father's thoughts, knowing that she shouldn't disturb him.

Was her father always worried about her like this?

* * *

—The next afternoon.

"Here, Your Majesty."

At the Emperor's Palace, Emperor Alderuan sat lost in thought. He looked at Hex indifferently as he approached the Emperor with a dark expression, handing him a piece of cloth.