Chapter 5

Siervian knew something was wrong the moment she opened her eyes. It was because nobody woke her up.

Sarah always woke her up at dawn, saying that she needed to learn Imperial etiquette.

'Where's everyone?'

Her body felt so heavy. It seemed like her excuse about being sick came true.

Still, Siervian rose from her bed, quelling the desire to go back to sleep. She was nervous because it was too quiet outside.

'Huh? My clothes?'

Her nightgown had been changed while she was asleep into a thinner, more comfortable nightgown.

She couldn't believe that she slept through all that, even with someone changing her clothes. As soon as she realized this, Siervian's face turned pale.

'It wouldn't be good if I keep getting sick.'

Siervian struggled to get on her feet, groaning as she reached out to pull the bedside rope. The five-year-old Siervian didn't have an official schedule yet, but she shouldn't be too lax. She didn't want to be called a lazy and incompetent princess.

After a while, Ellie carefully opened the door.

"You're awake now, Princess."

"I'm fwine. Where's Sarah?"

". . . His Majesty will be here shortly to say something."

At the mention of her father coming here again, Siervian felt her heart pounding out of her ribcage. Should she not have pretended to sleep last night?

But something strange happened again. A flock of maids with the same uniform as Ellie came one after another into her room, and some of their faces were familiar. They were court ladies in the Princess's Palace.

"Princess, I have committed a terrible sin!"

"Please forgive us, Your Highness!"

All the maids around Siervian shouted and bowed their heads in unison. Everyone had remorseful expressions.

Faced with an unprecedented situation, Siervian was somehow embarrassed. She held onto her blanket tightly.

What's going on here?

"Please speak well of us to His Majesty."

"We didn't do it on purpose. It was all because of Sarah . . ."

It was the first time in her life that the maids had spoken to Siervian in such a gentle tone. This was also the first time she came to know that there were this many maids in the palace.

Siervian kept quiet until now because she didn't know what to say to them.

It wasn't long until her body began to tremble, perhaps because of the dissonance between her body and soul. The many adults that towered over her was too overbearing for a five-year-old child.

'I can't breathe.'

What was scarier were their innermost thoughts.

[ Adele ]
Favorability: -100
Thoughts: This is so damn annoying. Is it my fault that she's sick?

[ Jessie ]
Favorability: -100
Thoughts: Why am I needlessly involved in this.

Siervian was afraid that these people, who never once gave her a smile, were suddenly acting like they cared for her. But what was worse was their inconsistent hearts.

The floating windows surrounded Siervian. These words pierced her exactly the same way as the words that condemned her in her previous life.

It was like an unavoidable fate.