23: Dean, what is Greenhouse gas production

Cas gave his number out to anyone who wanted it – aka Charlie and Kevin – at Monday in the very beginning of their conversation so that his part was done and he could relax through the rest of it. 

Day-dreaming. There was nothing as useless as day-dreaming and yet nothing as calming.

Just like books, it helped you get through the day, escape the reality, even if only for a few minutes. And unlike books, you could do it anytime you want. And Cas absolutely took advantage of that.

He had to, after all, because if he hadn't busied himself picturing the peaceful bumming of bees on a small meadow below a blue-colored sky on a sunny day, his mind would have wandered to Dean.

Bad, if the boy was in the same room and Cas felt his presence with every aspect of his body.

Worse, if Dean was not in the same room and everything in there just felt empty.

Monday, Tuesday. Awful, horrible days. Never a "Dean-class". And in the crowded hallways he could never catch a glimpse of him, either. At least not until lunch break.

After having spent the last class alone – well aware of sharing the subject with Garth who had sat down entirely elsewhere though and left the second the bell rang, not bothering to wait for Cas – he couldn't find Charlie or Kevin right away, so he basically had no other choice. Right?

It was only for his self-esteem. So he wouldn't sit next to the trash cans again. Everything was better than that. Even speaking to Dean Winchester in public.

Although that wasn't really the problem. Not for him, at least. As for Dean, he had no idea. The boy was getting him confused more than anything.

Unlike last week, Dean didn't hang around with Jo, Ash, and Benny but his little brother. Sam. At least from him Castiel was sure not to get harsh get-lost words.

"Hello, Dean."

The sound of his voice made the brothers look up, and both of them smiled at his sight. "Hey, Cas", Sam greeted him, but Cas was focused on Dean, who didn't say anything. But didn't ignore him, at least. Just stared at him.

"I guess... I should leave you guys to it, what?", Sam said and smirked. He pulled his stuff together and made his way through the room towards a group of kids his age.

"Whatcha waiting for? Sit down, Cas. It's painful to see you standing all stiff and uncomfortable there." Dean rubbed his nose between his fingers as if he had a headache, causing Cas to slightly panic that he could be the reason as why Dean looked so exhausted.

When nobody said anything, Dean finally looked up. "So, what do you want?"

"Uhm." Shook in his earlier conviction that Dean would be nice to him, Cas was struggling to find words at first. "I, uh, wanted to check... for you... out you... um. I – I mean, I wanted to..."

Dean raised an eyebrow, his annoyance replaced by a forming smile.

"My other friends weren't there, so I figured I could stay with you instead. That's all." Cas crossed his arms. He hated how Dean pushed him in the corner like that. 

Although the boy hadn't done anything wrong. It was just Cas who got himself anxious over nothing, once again.

"That's all," Dean repeated, his amused smile growing.

"Completely utterly not made-up."

"Sure. I heard you."

"That's good. Having no taste must be bad enough; at least you kept your ears."