12: Cas's inability to socialize

A/N: Yeah. Don't ask who spit out this chapter. Or who threw up the title. Or didn't sleep last night.

Lunch break. Charlie disappeared right in the beginning with the words "I'll be back. Just getting some people." Leaving Cas standing in the hallway, not knowing what to do with himself.

That was ten minutes ago.

Now he was still alone.

Had Charlie meant him to go somewhere to wait?

Or did she just take long?

Or had she just used that as an excuse to not having to spend the break with him?

All of these thoughts were more than possible. Checking his watch, Cas sighed and slowly trotted in the direction of the cafeteria. He didn't know where Charlie had gone at, and he doubted he could find her in the time that was left. He at least could sit somewhere and eat lunch. He didn't want to have to put up with an empty stomach growling with hunger later in class.

For a moment, he shortly laughed up. How did he survive the last two years? For a week he had had a friend now, and he already didn't know what to do now that she was gone.

Just what he always did.

In the cafeteria he looked for an empty table. The only remaining one was just next to the trash cans. But he didn't mind. He wouldn't be bothered here by other students, for one. And secondly, he fit in here just perfectly. Wasn't he himself trash?

His gaze flickered through the cafeteria. He didn't know he was looking for Dean until he saw him. Surrounded by three kids. Of course. Dean was too charismatic not to make friends fast.

Cas knew them. They were popular – Another thing Dean fit in perfectly. Ash would have been an outsider if it wasn't for Jo, who dragged him into the popularity of school. They apparently knew each other forever since their weighing days. "Sandbox love". 

And Jo was badass. You couldn't describe her as anything else. And she was nice, or at least not mean without purpose. It was self-explanatory people liked her. 

And next to her, laughing about something Dean said – Benny.

Cas didn't like him. He wasn't sure why; he simply harbored a fundamental aversion to him. And he couldn't explain it as the one time they had spoken the boy had been friendly to him.

All in all, these three were a sign that this school was not yet completely lost. People didn't like Zachariah and Alistair, the bullies, who would be the demanding students at many other schools, here they were just respected for their reputation.

Nobody interfered with their business because nobody wanted to get picked at, but it was Jo, Ash and Benny who were really popular. Liked by everyone.

Well, and Dean too.

If he was interacting with people of that significantly higher level, he soon wouldn't give crap about Cas anymore. Oh well, it would be a wonder if Cas hadn't been right about it from the start. He was always right.

But when he was being honest: He didn't begrudge Dean.

Dean deserved to be popular. He deserved to be liked – and to be loved. He deserved it all, and Cas could never be the one to give it to him.

"Hey, Cas."

Cas flinched at the sound of Dean's voice, being torn from his thoughts abruptly. "Hey, handsome," his brain answered, "I'm out."

Brain left the chat.

"Hello, Dean," Cas croaked in his naturally deep voice.

"Mind if I sit?" Dean didn't wait for an answer. He just sat. Cas broke into a sweat.