5: How to annoy your readers

Timestamp to Tuesday, around lunch time, at Cas's house

"You should get yourself a hobby," Gabriel said, coming into Cas' room only to find the boy lying on his bed and staring at the ceiling. 

Cas didn't spare him a glance, just continued staring. "I do have hobbies."

Gabriel shook his head. "Other than brooding and sulking and whatever you think of."

Was he implying Cas was only having negative thoughts? Well, he wouldn't be wrong, but how'd he know?

"I do have other hobbies than brooding and sulking whatever I think of," Cas repeated stubbornly.

"Just sayin," Gabe said, but out of the tone of his voice Cas could conclude he wasn't about to just leave him alone and go watching TV again. He instead stood at the door frame, seeming uncertain of what to say. 

"You know I'm not the first person to talk to about serious matters, but you also do know that I'm always here for ya, right? You can talk to me about anything, Cassie."

Cas frowned, not liking the direction where this seemed to go. "Sure, Gabe, I know that," he said lightly, confused to what thoughts could have let his careless, optimistic brother to such a conversation. He turned half around and rested his head on his right arm, but still lay down.

Gabriel nodded and sat on the edge of his bed, acting as awkwardly as he and Cas both felt. 

For a moment, neither of them knew what to say, Gabriel not experienced in any talk that involved more than candys, gay porn, the bee movie and cursing their brothers and Cas just not in the mood to talk at all. 

Eventually, Gabe sighed and glanced at Cas' huge bookcase. "Why don't you read anything in that?"

Cas raised an eyebrow, knowing Gabe always made fun out of him for reading. He really must be desperate for conversation. Either that or just desperate for Cas to do something, because right now, he just seemed depressive. "I can't."

"Can't or won't?", Gabe shot back immediately; it was one of their classic sibling catchphrases.

"Won't. I read all of them already, what's the purpose in doing it once again?"

Gabe shrugged. "What's the purpose in watching the bee movie more than once?"

Cas didn't hesitate. "There is none."

"Yes, there is! That movie is amazing! It's art, simple perfection... But, okay, bad example. What's the purpose in doing the same work, day and day again?"

"It serves the community," Cas tilted his head. "All work has its purpose, and it has to be kept going, in most cases the society would break down otherwise."

Gabe threw his hands in the air in annoyance. "God, Cas, you really don't get the message, don't ya?"

"Oh, I do. Just wanted to annoy you." Cas grinned despite himself.

"And what's the purpose in that?", Gabe asked sarcastically.

"This way I fulfill my duties as a little brother."

"Touché", Gabe admitted, "but, we've gotten off the point. I wanted to say that there's not really a purpose for most things in life we do over and over again." 

Seeing Cas expression that let slip through he was going to disagree, Gabe added "at least in things we do for joy, not work. Sometimes there's not even a purpose in doing it for the first time, at all, other than to enjoy one's selves or get distracted or to be happy or whatever reasons people have for hobbying. Long story short: When there's no purpose for anything, as an example, reading a book, why did you do it the first time? And why not doing it a second time? I mean, when the purpose was missing the first time, you really can't fool yourself by believing you could find one at the second read."