2: How to befriend someone

"What took you so long?", Sam asked Dean when he finally got into the car and started it.

 "Wasn't my fault", he answered, turning on AC/DC and pulling out of the parking lot. "I mean, why did you have to mess with this son of a bitch in the first place?"

"Wasn't my fault", Sam countered, "Also, I think his name is Zach."

"I don't give a crap about his name", Dean said angrily, "all that matters that he and that other dick wanted to beat you up. And that's not gonna happen, at least as long as I live."

Sam sighed. "You don't have to always protect me. I can do that myself – I live my own life."

Dean chuckled on this, looking at his 13-year-old brother that was seated next to him. As much as he loved Sam, he couldn't just give him the credit of saying that he was able to take care of stuff. 

Sam was smaller than most of the kids his age, and smarter than they were, which usually provoked them and made him an available victim. But not as long as Dean was around. He wouldn't let anybody touch his little brother.

"Sure, you do. But right now, your life still involves me. Unless you want me to ditch you and leave you alone with dad." He didn't mean the last sentence, of course. Their dad was a miserable drunk that couldn't take responsibilities, much less take care of two children. 

And when Dean was gone and with him someone John could release his anger and frustration on by beatings, Sam would be the one John would hit. And even if Dean somehow ruined their brotherhood in a way that Sam would beg him to leave, even if he said he wouldn't want to see him ever again – Dean would never be able to bring himself to leave Sam alone with their dad. The love he had for his little brother was greater than any fight they could ever go into.

Sam mumbled something incomprehensible and turned to look out of the window. While Dean was driving, he thought of the bullies he saved Sam from. 

After Cas was gone, he also sent Sam away to wait in the car for him. Then he turned and made it perfectly clear to Alistair and Zach that they got problems if they dared to even look at Sammy again.

They immediately backed off when they recognized him; it was satisfying to scare two bullies that were bigger than him and weren't used to being thrown together, away by just saying his name.

Of course, there was always a chance that they didn't care about his status and just tried to beat him up like everyone else, which is why he sent Cas away, but Alistair and Zach were apparently not that stupid.

A teacher sadly caught them nevertheless, and tomorrow they would have to pay a visit to the director but saving his little brother and showing those douchebags that now he was the one to rule the place was definitely worth it.

They arrived at their little flat and made their way through a pile of dirty clothes to the kitchen which wasn't cleaned either. "Can you maybe pick up your stuff, Sammy?" He said, trying to get some room to warm up the Macaroni he bought on their way home.

"Since when do you care?" He heard Sam's answer through the thin walls; he had already disappeared in his room.

"I don't want to live like in a trash can, that's all. Y'know, you can just bring the clothes in your room, but not on the floor here. Just imagine Dad throwing up coming home from the bar – which you know will happen sooner or later – you wouldn't know what to wear for the next couple of weeks."

Dean wasn't one for order, but when he looked at his brother living like in a dirty hole, he immediately regretted his life decisions.

Sam came back, frowning at the sight of all the chaos, but then he got over himself and tidied the floor up.