Stress

"Dad can you help me?" Matteo groans from the dining room table

"Dad can you help me?" Matteo groans from the dining room table. He's doing homework before school. What makes it worse is that the homework is due in today. He always does this.

"No." I reply, going over some paperwork I was sent this morning.

"Screw you." He grumbles and throws a balled up piece of paper at me. "Mamà!"

"What?" She calls out from the kitchen.

"Help me please."

She comes out of the kitchen and walks over to where he is, peering over his shoulder to see the piece of paper in front of him. "Hm?"

"Math homework."

She scratches the back of her head and looks equally as confused as Matteo does. "Yeah I don't know math." She mutters.

Sensing both of their gazes on me, I look up from my paperwork and raise my eyebrows. "What?"

"Didn't you get an A+ in math or something?" She asks, "Help him." She says, pointing at his homework.

Sighing, I gesture for him to give me the paper so he slides it across the table. Taking the paper, I skim over the questions and run a hand along my jaw.

"This is basic algebra Matteo." I say, glancing over at him.

"Basic?" He gapes at me. "Far from it."

"You're telling me you don't know the basics?" I tilt my head.

"No so help me." He says, getting up from his seat and sitting down next to me instead.

"Use that brain of yours," I tap my pen on his temple, "and tell me how you would do this question. I'll correct your mistakes."

He starts writing on his paper and I cross my arms over my chest and watch him.

"Reyna, sweetheart, come down or you're going to be late." River calls out from the bottom of the stairs.  She hasn't come downstairs yet for some reason.

Sighing, she walks back over to us and picks her car keys up. "I'm going to work. I love you." She says, pecking mine and Matteo's cheeks before leaving.

"Like this?" He asks and furrows his eyebrows.

I look at his answer and shake my head. "Close," I say and he sighs in frustration, "don't be so hard on yourself. We all make mistakes. I'll show you how to do this one and then you try the other one, yeah?"

He nods his head. "Alright."

For the next couple of minutes I teach him and by the end of it he seems more relaxed.

"Understand it now?" I ask, raising an eyebrow.

"Yes," He smiles, "thank you. Can you do all of my homework for me?"