Ring

I'm gonna prank Ace because I'm bored

I'm gonna prank Ace because I'm bored. Right now he's downstairs watching the twins while I shower. I'm going to pretend that I lost my wedding ring down the drain or something but in reality I hid it in one of the drawers where he can't find it.

After changing my clothes, I leave the room and go downstairs, where Ace is in the living room with the twins, who are six. They're watching a movie on the tv whiles he's on his phone.

"Ace." I call his name.

He looks up from his phone and smiles when he sees me before putting his phone away to give me undivided attention.

"Hm?" He crosses his arms over his broad chest and tilts his head a little.

"I have to tell you something but please don't get mad." I say hesitantly, sitting down next to him on the couch.

"You know I can't get mad at you, love." He says, picking up my hand and kissing the back of it. Then he pauses, stares at my hand long and hard, before he slowly drags his gaze back up to mine. "Where's your ring?" He asks, his voice low and calm.

"Yeah, about that..." I scratch the back of my head, frowning, "I lost it." I mutter and I already feel like an asshole just watching his whole face drop.

A muscle in his jaw flexes as he runs a hand down his stubble. "How did you lose it?" He questions, fiddling with his wedding ring.

"It fell down the drain." I say quietly.

"Dammit." He breathes out, leaning forward as he covers his face with his hands.

"I'm sorry," I say, placing a hand on top of his, "Are you mad?"

He shakes his head and releases a deep breath as he stands up. "I'm not mad," He mutters, swallowing the lump in his throat as he avoids my gaze, "I'll get you a new one."

Of course he's not mad but he's definitely upset because that ring was the only thing left of his mother.

Before I can even tell him that it's a prank, he's already leaving the living room. Shit.

"Papà, what's wrong?" Reyna stands up on the couch and grips his sleeve.

"Nothing, angel." He says softly, leaning down to kiss her temple.

"Hmm, okay."

xXx

After putting the twins to bed, I went back to our room to see Ace sat on the edge of the bed with his head in his hands. His hair is slightly wet and he's not wearing a shirt, which means he just got out of the shower.

Quietly, I walk over to the drawers and take out the ring before shoving it in my pocket. "Are you sure you're okay?"

"I'm fine." He replies shortly.