Care

River asked me to pick the twins, who are six, up from school because she wasn't feeling well so I left early from work because I also wanted to make sure she's okay

"Where did you get those sweets, Reyna?" I ask my daughter as I buckle her into her car seat. I still haven't put Matteo in his but he has a tight grasp on the end of my jacket and is staring at this girl who has had his attention for the past 20 minutes.

"It was my friend's birthday today and we had a party at lunch." She replies, munching on the Haribos in her hands.

"Did you have fun?" I ask, tucking a loose strand of hair behind her ear.

"Yeah." She says, grinning from ear to ear.

"Good," I peck her forehead. "Don't eat too many sweets, alright?"

"Okay, Papà."

Once I've buckled her in, I shut the door and direct my attention towards my son.

"Matt?" I ruffle his hair but his eyes are still fixated on that girl. "What are you staring at kid?"

"Look at her," He says, mesmerised. "She's pretty."

"Why don't you tell her that tomorrow?" I suggest, picking him up and walking over to the other side of the car to put him in his car seat.

"I tried to tell her today." He mutters.

I sit him down in his car seat and buckle him up. "But..?"

"Scared." He mumbles.

"What's there to be scared of, kid?" I ask, ruffling his hair.

"What if she doesn't like me?"

"Don't be silly," I reply. "There is nothing to be scared of."

"Really?"

"Yes, really," I nod my head. "And if she rejects you then she's missing out man." I pat his chest and he smirks.

"I'll do it."

"Good man."

xXx

As soon as we got home, I made the kids a snack and occupied them with the TV before going to check up on my wife. She's not downstairs so I'm only assuming she's in our room.

"Riv," I say softly, sitting on the bed beside her and gently moving the covers from her head. "You okay, baby?"

"Ace?" She mumbles, squinting her eyes open.

"Yes, love?" I answer, cupping her cheeks.

"You're back." She mutters, wrapping her arms around my neck.