Shattered

River and I are getting ready to leave for a ball we're attending

River and I are getting ready to leave for a ball we're attending. We just have to put the twins down for the night before their babysitter arrives. River managed to get Reyna down but Matteo is being difficult again.

Sighing, I walk around our backyard with Matteo in my arms. Being outside usually helps calm him down. One of my hands was on the back of his head that laid on my shoulder and the other was wrapped securely around his small frame. He's been quiet for a while now and I breathe a sigh of relief when I finally hear his light snores.

After pecking his cheek, I make my way back inside and upstairs. Slowly, I open the door to the nursery and see River tucking Reyna in. I quietly walk in and lay Matteo down in his bed before tucking him in too.

"That boy is a piece of work." I whisper, pointing my finger at Matteo.

"Like you then." River replies as we walk outside and shut the door to the twins' nursery.

"Bullshit." I scoff.

"You're bullshit." She retorts.

xXx

"Fuck, I'm so tired." I sigh, sinking down into the seat beside my wife. I've been bombarded with people as soon as I stepped foot into this building and I've only just got back.

She hugs my arm and rests her head against my shoulder. "Do you have anymore meetings? I wanna go home." She grumbles.

I look down at my watch and see that it's a little pass midnight. "Let's go then." I say, standing up from my seat and helping her up.

"Ace." I hear Theo's voice so I turn my head and see him jogging up to me.

"What?"

"We have a problem." He says, now stopping in front of us.

"What now?" I pinch the bridge of my nose and let out a frustrated breath.

"An investor pulled out of the deal."

"I'll be right there," I say and he nods his head before leaving. I turn my attention back to River and wrap my arms around her waist, "I'm sorry. I'll be as quick as I can."

She wraps her arms around my neck and goes on her tip toes to place a kiss on my cheek. "It's okay. Take as long as you need." She says softly.

I smile and peck her cheek before leaving with Theo.

xXx