thirty eight - so i guess this is it

at 8 am, diana watched with wide eyes as reid walked down the west stairwell, her nerves continuing to dance

at 8 am, diana watched with wide eyes as reid walked down the west stairwell, her nerves continuing to dance. it had been two months since graduation, and reid's body had improved greatly. the boy was doing physical therapy to help with his mobility and diana had helped him complete daily stretches.

the couple soon found themselves in the dining room, where jasmine and riley were. for the last few nights, the blond had invited all of her friends to stay at the manor, so they could enjoy each other's company before they left for college. tiffany, lucas, and dexter had already left, and the rest of the group was leaving today.

"your physical therapy is helping you," jas assured, while the maids planted dozens of breakfast meals and snacks onto the large table. the patio door was open so they were able to feel the morning breeze while the sun rose.

"yeah, my doctor doesn't think i'm ready to stop so he's assisted me to a physical therapist in italy so i could continue," reid said when one of the maids placed mimosas on the table for each of the guests.

"oh, we have to take your medication," diana said, but he just grabbed her hand and pulled her back in the seat next to him. "i'll do it, later,"

"diana, your chefs always make the best food," riley assured while eating the waffles on her plate.

"yeah, i'm very grateful for them,"

an hour later, it was time for riley and jas to head back to their houses so they could leave for university. "you guys don't have to leave this early,"

"i do, my flight is at 5," jasmine said, while the staff brought their cars to the front. a small frown settled on diana's lips, saying goodbye to your friends wasn't easy.

"and my mom wants to start heading out early. she says traffic will be bad once we get on the parkway," riley said before the two girls pulled diana and reid for a group hug.

"i'll miss you guys," the blond said, closing her eyes.

"not as much as we'll miss you,"

when it was time to leave, riley and tiffany walked to their cars and offered their friends a smile. they stepped inside, started their cars, and drove out of the gate. as they watched the cars leave, reid pulled her close and kissed her forehead. just then, his phone began ringing. "it's my grandfather, it's time to head back home,"

"i'll come with you," she said, earning a chuckle from the taller boy. "he never said you had to go home alone,"

after a long day of packing, elvis parked her car in front of the busy airport before turning the car off

after a long day of packing, elvis parked her car in front of the busy airport before turning the car off. his eyes looked for police cars and he prayed he wouldn't get a ticket. diana's head was on reid's lap, and soft snores escaped her as he caressed her arm. he smiled softly to himself at the sight of his girlfriend, he was such a lucky motherfucker.

when her eyes fluttered open, she groaned and lifted herself. he noticed the way her shoulders went down when she realized they were at the airport. she curled herself into his chest, and placed her hand on his chest. "i've been dreading this day for the past two months," he whispered.

"oh shut up, you're going to italy," she sighed just as elvis opened the back door and gestured for them to leave the car. reid and elvis pulled out his suitcase, while diana nervously played with her fingers.

"once you get inside, you have to print your boarding pass. then, you'll take a left and you'll see delta check-in. after check-in, you head to security," elvis said, handing reid his passport, before shutting the trunk of the car. "you got that?"

"yeah, pops," he said, putting his passport into his backpack and running his hands through his black hair. "now, you behave. don't do anything that i wouldn't. you hear me?" elvis pulled him for a hug, one that lasted a few minutes.

"also, this is your brother damien's cell number—the new one. if you want to call him, this is it. i understand you haven't spoken in a while but he's always one phone call away," he said, handing his grandson a paper with the number on it.

"why should i do that?"

"he drove from chicago to the hamptons when you were in the coma. let him know that you're alive and well, it's the least you could do," elvis said, while reid sighed and gently nodded. he crumbled the paper and stuck it into his backpack, he'll worry about that later.

he turned to diana, and was met with her glossy emerald eyes. "so, i guess this is it?" she asked, a frown settling on her lips as she looked up at him.

"promise to call me every day and tell me all about italia. even if you ring in the middle of the night, i will still pick up," she said, earning a chuckle from the boy that towered over her. he dipped his head, laying his forehead on hers, a silence wrapping around them.

"i'll miss you, blondie," he finally whispered with a weak voice. her eyes began to grow blurry, this was it. they had made it to the end of senior year and they were saying goodbye. this was the moment she was dreading all this time, it had caught up with her.

"i'll miss you too, reid," she kissed him tenderly, wrapping her arms around his neck. he kissed her with love and passion, he knew this would be the last kiss they would share for a while and that burned a hole in his heart. when a tear dropped down and stained her lip, they slowly broke apart and leaned into each other's embrace.

"remember, any other girl that's not me has chlamydia," she said, and he chuckled.

"it's time," elvis mumbled, grabbing reid's attention. the boy nodded, looking into her beautiful eyes one last time. he smiled to himself, she was so beautiful. "i love you,"

"i love you too," she said, and she watched as he backed away slowly, his hand on his suitcase. she wrapped her arms around her torso, tears now falling out of her eyes rapidly. she wanted to hug him for the rest of her life, but she knew it wasn't possible.

finally, he gave her a wink before turning around and heading into the airport. when he disappeared behind the crowd, she took a heavy breath. she felt a piece of herself had left with him because she could no longer feel the happiness she felt when he was here. long distance was going to be hard but they were going to give it their best shot. reid and diana were strong, and their love for each other was even stronger.

"come on, diana. i promised your mom i would get you back before 8," elvis said, just before her phone began rounding. as they walked back to the car, she picked it up and silenced her sobs.

"hey sweetie. you need to finish packing, we leave in the morning," annabel said, as elvis began driving away from the airport. diana looked through the left mirror, spotting a plane take off the runway and disappear behind the clouds.

"yeah, i know," she smiled, closing her eyes and leaning into the seat. "i know,"