thirty five - baby, talk to me

"detectives are currently trying to figure out what went wrong during a simple road trip

"detectives are currently trying to figure out what went wrong during a simple road trip. teenager, reid maxwell has suffered a gunshot through the abdomen and is in critical condition at southampton hospital. it is too early to determine the fate of his life, more news will be rolling out shortly. stay tuned," jasmine turned the television off and placed the remote on the table.

reid had been in surgery for 12 hours, and his friends weren't being updated on his status. they hadn't spoken much to each other, everyone was simply in shock. this wasn't an accident, they were in one of the safest towns in new york. who would do this to him, who would want to kill him?

4 hours later, the surgery was finished. the doctors moved him back to his room and he hasn't woken up ever since. the bullet pierced the side of his liver, creating an infection that had the power to take his life. the surgeons managed to confiscate the bullet and weaken the infection, if he wakes up he will be able to take medication that will terminate it.

when annabel and elvis arrived, the mother placed her hand over her heart as her eyes landed on a certain broken blond. she called out but the poor girl was frozen. jasmine had educated her on diana's appetite, she hadn't eaten in the last 16 hours—since reid was admitted. when he was moved to his room, she just stayed by his side, sleeping on his assigned hospital bed. her tears continued to pour against his skin, and every few hours, her body would involuntarily shake because of the trauma that happened that night.

she hadn't even changed out of her stained dress.

the mother walked into the room, placing the flowers she purchased on the table. she slowly walked to her daughter, and moved the hair out of her emotionless face. "sweetheart, you've been here for a while. i'm staying at a hotel, how about we go home and get you cleaned up?"

the girl didn't respond, she simply ran her finger against his tattoos and cried into his shoulder. she missed him more than anything, and the life was sucked out of her. how much her life had changed because of him, and now that she could lose him, she entered a severe depression.

annabel looked at elvis, who ran a hand through his grayish hair and held his jaw in his hands. the old man was distressed, his hair was falling out, it was obvious even if he tried to hide it. reid's hospitalization had taken a toll on everyone but it affected diana the most: she couldn't function without him, her heart was broken. she knew his life was dangerous back in chicago but never in a million times would she have imagined his past life following him here.

"are you his mother?" annabel turned around, and spotted a detective who walked into the room with a nurse behind him. she checked reid's vitals, despite diana lying next to him. "no, but she's a family friend," elvis responded, standing up from his seat. "i'm his official guardian,"