twenty five - i had nowhere else to go

it didn't matter how hard a person worked for something

it didn't matter how hard a person worked for something. the truth was that in a second it could all be taken from them and they may not be prepared. there's nothing worse than seeing something they put their blood, sweat, and tears get destroyed. and that's exactly how diana kingsley felt when she walked into school on wednesday.

students who were in different ranks were talking amongst themselves, finally free of the burden of diana's rules. with no queen, there was no more rank system. with no rank system, people seemed to smile more and be happier. it was like, she caused them pain. she couldn't understand it, they were continuing with life as she wasn't embarrassed at her party a few days ago. they probably didn't even notice her absence yesterday.

all her confidence had abandoned her. after what she did to reid and her friends, she felt like the worst person in the world. since her mental health wasn't strong, she just didn't care about what she wore or how she presented herself. so when the other students noticed she came to school wearing only her uniform, they frowned in confusion while looking her up and down.

she wasn't wearing anything designer.

throughout the school day, she keep to herself and focused on her classes. it was hard ignoring the snickers the other students suddenly gave her, it was clear they felt they were now better than her.

as diana walked through the loud cafeteria, her eyes moved to her normal table. the rest of the elites were sitting there, as usual, acting as if diana was sitting right next to them. they were laughing and chatting up a storm, having all the fun in the world. that used to be her life, but within a few days, everything changed. 18 wasn't treating her well.

they turned to face her, and diana couldn't help but notice the way marcellus snickered, running his hands through his black hair. rhea's eyes traveled up her outfit, and she failed to hide her smile as she whispered to athena. hayes and apolllo each had girls on their laps, who casually played with their hair. the kingsley recognized them both, they used to be in the lowest rank. but now that there were no more ranks, they invited different girls to the table and seemed to be enjoying it.

she waved softly at them but the elites just ignored her and carried on with their conversation, her smile fading from her face. she hesitated, before walking to the table and sitting down, earning dirty looks from them, even from the girls who were in the lowest ranks.

"i know this bitch didn't," rhea said while apollo chuckled. "look i'm sorry, what can i do to forgive you-," her whole world stopped when she spotted reid walking into the cafeteria with a girl who the kingsley had never seen before. she had blond hair and colored eyes just like diana, he certainly had a type.

his hair was a mess, and the bags under his eyes were extremely dark. he looked a mess, at least that made two of them. reid and the girl sat at a different table than his usual one, and diana noticed the way jasmine, sean, and tiffany glared at him before looking at her. seems, like they were also upset about the situation.

when reid walked into the school, all she did was make his life a living hell. but the truth was, he was stronger than she ever was. he had lost so much, and she made fun of it and exploited his past to the entire school. he had every right to be upset with her, she just didn't know it would hurt this much.

"is she deaf?" rhea asked, snapping her fingers in front of diana's face. "we told you to leave, we're not going to ask you again,"

"i'm not going until we talk this out," athena cleared her throat, grabbing her purple fanta and pouring it all over diana. the cafeteria erupted in chaos, while students began laughing and pointing at the former queen. some even brought their phones out and began recording her, and she feared if harvard would see these videos.

"oops, my arm twitched," she smiled, narrowing her eyes and the blond swore her heart dropped into her stomach. her throat tightened as she grabbed her bag and stood up but she slipped onto the floor, because of the fanta.

the waves of laughter grew louder and she looked around, everyone pointed at her. she couldn't even look in reid's direction, she didn't want to see him. she couldn't look him in the face, it was all too embarrassing.

she lifted herself, and ran out of the cafeteria, focusing on her breathing. tears began to fall, as she leaned on the bathroom wall. how could everyone turn against her in a matter of days? she thought she had everything under control, but now she was the biggest laughing stock in the school.

"diana?" she heard a voice from behind the bathroom door. "no, please. don't come in here," she sobbed, using her sleeve to wipe her snot. but the person didn't listen and soon, she connected eyes with kimberly. she looked at the ground, ashamed of her vulnerability. "would you like a tissue?" the girl asked pulling one out from her bag, earning a slow nod from diana. she used it to clean her tears and wipe her face, delivering a sigh. "thanks,"

"yeah, no problem. it looks like you needed it. do you want to talk?" the kingsley shook her head, cleaning her stained bag. "no, i'm just going to head home,"

"my father is a therapist and he deals with emotions like this. he says it best to get your feelings out, it helps with healing," diana frowned, playing with the rings on her fingers as she grabbed her belongings.

"all of the people i love are strangers now," kimberly watched as she walked out, before sighing.

when diana returned home, it was around 1 pm and there was no one home which was to be expected

when diana returned home, it was around 1 pm and there was no one home which was to be expected. the housekeepers were cleaning the bedrooms, so she couldn't stay in her room. her eyes landed on the presents that the staff had placed on the kitchen counter. she knew a majority of them would be designer purses, belts, and more shit but when her eyes landed on one particular envelope, she frowned.

she knew it was from reid and couldn't open it, it would just cause too much pain. the universe was playing some sick game, teasing her for ruining the best thing she was ever given.

but she couldn't help herself.

she hesitated, before opening the envelope and pulling the contents out. it was a sketch of her, with a wide smile and a light shining onto her. she was holding hands with a shadow that disappeared into the darkness. she guessed it was his way of representing whatever way their relationship traveled, he would always be with her, even if that meant she was the only one in the light.

she suddenly burst into tears, placing her hands over her mouth. she wished she was never the queen, she wished she never made the hierarchy. she just wished to be with him, until the sun burned out. she didn't know if it was love, but she knew she wanted to be the first person he spoke to when he woke up and the last at night. but everything was destroyed, and she didn't know if he would forgive her. it hurt too much being away from him.

diana drove to the hospital, she needed to talk to someone even if that meant her father. when she walked inside, she asked for him but the receptionist assured he was in surgery. so she waited and when he finished, he walked into the waiting room.

"i had nowhere else to go," she said, her eyes growing blurry. he pulled her into a hug, and the poor girl grabbed her father's trench coat and sobbed into his chest.

VOTE
COMMENT