23 • Rebellion •

Start from the beginning

Chal jahaa gam ke maare naa ho 

-Daag (1952)

There were few girls Anahita could think of who were talking terms with her, but no one was close enough to let her stay in their place

There were few girls Anahita could think of who were talking terms with her, but no one was close enough to let her stay in their place. Neither, she wanted to share her domestic problems to people she barely knew. And, her family will catch her if she went to any of the relatives' place. That leaves only one place. The option conflicted Anahita's mind.

She stepped down from the tanga and paid the man three rupees. The lanky man's eyes widened. He gaped at the money on his palms.
"No one should know you dropped me here." She warned him with strictness. In a daze, the man nodded.

Clenching her metal suitcase, Anahita marched towards the Khan Haveli. Since, she never visited so late, the guards were surprised but don't stop her.

Raza Chacha looked bewildered, as he welcomed her. After settling her in the living room, he ran to fetch Asif. Anahita gulped, feeling her parched throat.

She slumped on sofa, darting her gaze around and hunched forward hugging herself. Night had fallen by now, and that made Anahita uncomfortable.

Sometime later, rushed footsteps alerted her, and she rose from her seat. A slow smile came on her face upon seeing Asif storm in. Panic was clear on his flushed face. His blue eyes were wide, reddish cheekbones. Fanatically, he looked around and relieved washed over his face when his eyes found her.

"Asi—"

Before she could complete her sentence, he rushed to her and held her arms.

"Are you alright? Why are you here?" He observed her from top to bottom and back again. His eyebrows drawn together, maintaining strong eye contact. Anahita looked at him and then smiled a little, making him confused further.

"Why are you smiling? Has something serious happened?" His voice modulating.

Anahita swallowed softly as she realized why she was here. Asif kept staring at her with mixed emotions. She closed her eyes and took a deep breath. Before she began, she watched Raza Chacha from over Asif's shoulder. He turned his head to the side.

- "Raza Chacha, can you go get some tea for Anahita?"

"Ji, Malik."

The man adjusted the ghumcha around his neck as he scurried away. Anahita looked back at Asif and opened her mouth to speak, but he held her hand guiding her towards the sofa. She sat down comfortably on the double couch while he sat on the single sofa.

Asif listened intensively as she narrated everything. He doesn't interrupt her and let her continue. Whenever she stops to note his reaction, he doesn't speak but kept attentively silent. After Anahita completed, she clasped her palms and sighed, - "So?" She shrugged.