23 • Rebellion •

En başından başla

"Anahita!" In the heat of the moment, he slapped his daughter while he trembled with anger and fear of losing another child.

Anahita fell back, holding her cheek. The loud and hard slap rang in her ears, numbing her brain. She could barely hear her father's voice over the sharp ringing noise in her head. This was for the first time in her life, in eighteen years of her existence, that her father slapped her. Someone she was closest to. He was always her shield, her protector and her hero, but here he failed. Ever since he settled with Leela, he has changed.

"Are you mad? If Leela had fallen, she and our unborn child would have—I could have lost another child. Another son. How can you be so reckless?" Prathuman reprimanded him. Tears stung her ears, but Anahita tried her best to take back her tears. She can't show them, that she was affected.

Agreed, she might have over-reacted but seeing Leela's track record and immense anger within her, she behaved rashly, but that doesn't mean her father should slap her. Nothing can justify physical violence.

Anahita looked at her father and struggled to control her trembling voice, - "I will not stay at a place where I am not being respected."- she turned to go, - "and I am not marrying Daamodar, come what may."

Leela grabbed Prathuman's arm and tugged on it, - "Don't let this Rishta go?" She whispered to him.

"Don't talk non-sense, Anahita. They want to marry you and we have agreed."

Anahita quickly turned to face them, flames of anger in her eyes, - "Then, you marry him, because it's a no from my side. And if you force me, then I will go to the police. Surely, you don't want matters of our house getting mudslinged at?" Saying that, she turned on her heels and stormed out. Prathuman and Leela couldn't grasp what just happened. He got worried about all this, but Leela was calm.

"Relax, jaan, where will she go? She is nothing without you. Just young blood. They rebel, but then eventually they know what their place is."

Dhani cried, requesting she come with Anahita, but her friend was adamant. Anahita changed into a casual salwar suit and angrily packed her clothes into a metal suitcase. Iravati watched the commotion, but said nothing. Dhani pleaded with Badi Malkin to stop this madness, but she was unmoved. Like Leela, she too was sure that Anahita will return. Less than Twenty-four hours, once her anger subsided she will crawl back with lowered head and joined hands begging to be taken in. That will break her arrogance forever.

The sun was settling down in the west, orangish and crimson hue covered the clear sky, gentle breeze blew over her face, which was in contrast to the storm raging in her chest. Anahita clenched the suitcase and steadily marched through the driveway and exited the huge metal gates. The curious guards saluted her as she left. Once outside, she called for a tanga and slumped inside. She carried some money, with intension to return this.

As the horse moved, Anahita looked up at the fading figure of her haveli. Tears streamed down her cheeks and sadness engulfed the feeling of anger. She hadn't excepted her father to betray her like this. He was her last hope and with him lost; she was lost there. Now, staying there was nothing but torture for her. Anahita looked away once her home disappeared from sight. She sighed, leaning her chin against her knee.

Aye mere dil kahee aaur chal

Gham kee duniyaan se dil bhar gayaa

dhoondh le ab koi ghar nayaa

joothee aashaa ke taare naa ho