9

C H A P T E R N I N E

I kept glancing at the clock while the kids were preparing to go to bed.

Jieun was engaged in combing the hair of her doll as she converses with it. Jihun, on the other hand, is browsing a scientific novel that I recently bought him from the nearest library. He's young but I could clearly say he's addicted to learning.

"Mommy, look! Poppy looks beautiful now."

"Oh, really? Let me see..."

Jieun showed me her doll and chortle. "I brush her hair slowly and gently to make it beautiful."

"That's right, baby. Just like how mommy does your hair. It will be as pretty as yours."

I couldn't stop myself and pulled her in my arms.

Jieun is so small that she fits just around my crossed legs.

"What's wrong, mommy? Do you feel sad?"

Her question made me wonder.

My fingers fiddle her delicate hair. I didn't realize her hair is growing longer as time passes and suits her better than before.

"How can I be sad? I have you and Jihun and that makes mommy happy..."

She glances at me from above and pout, "I love you, Mommy. I always want you to be happy. I don't want to see you sad."

Her soft smile cured the distress in my heart.

I don't know why am I having this uncertain feeling. These past few days I couldn't stop worrying about them. Even when I'm at work, my mind was misplaced and it started after I saw Sehun back in China.

After that small conversation and acquiring his presence. It appears like there's an obstacle that was preventing me to feel steady every day. Any little movement that the kids do make me wary... That something might happen. Something that means losing them.

I know I haven't seen Sehun for almost a decade and in those years he hasn't done anything that could provoke my suspicion... Or perhaps I was barely nonchalant. I was comfortable at the thought that our path wouldn't collide once again. Yet here we are.

To think that Sehun has refined into a prudent and wealthy man. he has all the capabilities that I couldn't possess. I don't know what he has been putting attention to. But he might have a change of heart and Taking custody of the kids will be easier for him. Now that the twins are nearly at the age of seven... He can have his rights as their father.

And that is a reason why I didn't want to see him again.

If meeting our path means sacrificing our peace, I'd rather move farther away and forget his existence forever.

"Noona? You're still here?"

The three of us glance at the door.

We saw Jiwoo who barely came back from school. He's carrying a backpack over his shoulders and a couple of books in his empty hands.

"Uncle!"

Jieun rushes towards him. As usual she's asking him to carry her.

My brother smiled at her action. He place his books and bag on the floor and did what she ask. It's like a routine between them. Every time Jiwoo comes home, Jieun would plead to be carried so she could welcome and hug him freely.

"Aigoo~ are you going to sleep already?"

"Yes, Uncle! And I brush poppy's hair too. Do you wanna see it?"

"I would love to!"

Jiwoo carried her inside the room and carefully slips her on the bed. I move towards Jihun who's starting to feel sleepy.

"Look, Uncle! Isn't she pretty?"

I gaze at them as I help Jihun to bed.

"Wow. You're greatly improving, princess. Good job!"

Jieun truly admired his compliment with a giggle.

"Thank you, Uncle."

"How about you, Noona? Why aren't you ready yet?"

My eyes glare at him in confusion.

This is bad.

He shouldn't blunt that question in front of the kids. I haven't told them about the party yet and if they find out they won't stop asking questions!

"Ready for what? I don't know what you're talking about-"

"Really? Are you that old to forget your schedules? As far as I remember you are in your mid-twenties. Your brain should be functioning well."

As much as I want to curse at him, I just can't. Not in front of the twins and he should know that.

"You're leaving mommy?"

"Where are you going?"

Jihun who seems sleepy is starting to get his energy back after hearing what Jiwoo said.

I'm not stupid not to think that he wasn't willingly saying this in front of them. It was his plan since he wanted me to come to the party and meet Sehun. Which is never gonna happen!

I won't forget how he wouldn't stop complaining that I don't wanna go.

"Mommy is going nowhere. I have work tomorrow so we have to rest and sleep-"

"Noona, you don't have work. It's weekends."

I stare at him blankly. But he rarely gave me a smirk.

This bastard!

"Your mommy is going to a party tonight and I hope you two will permit her to leave."

What he said took me by surprise.

"Jiwoo-"

"Party?... without us?"

"Is it a tea party mommy? I wanna come too!"

"No, Us three will stay here. It's an adult party so we are not allowed to come with her."

"Jiwoo, Stop. I ain't going nowhere."