28. Night's blaze

Start from the beginning

Again and again, he came to see me. Every time I asked him the same thing. I couldn't remember him. And every time, it was like his heart was breaking piece by piece.

Until... the last time he came. The last memory I have of him. Tears welled in those deep brown eyes as he apologised.

'It's my fault you're here. I can't come and see you anymore'

His words echoed, tears spilt. My heart hurts. It hurts so much.

Tae. What's your fault? Why did you leave? How is this protecting me? And from what?

My head thumps hard. I kneel over, pressing my forehead to the cold marble of the countertop. I need to calm myself down. My head might explode if I get too worked up.

I give up on even trying to go to class today and instead, make my way to my medicine stash and grab two sleeping pills hoping it'll relax me and stop any anxiety.

I take them, crawl back under the blanket on the couch where Tae and I had lay. The lingering sentiments helped calm me as I clutched my head. My headache eventually subsided, and I became so drowsy. No thoughts came to me. My muscles lay limp.

The smell of Tae was on the pillow where my nose was. Every time I inhaled, I could smell him. Like I was lying on top of him again. His arms are around me. Time slowed down. I closed my eyes.

___________________________________

Nothingness.

In the distance, faint orange and red glowers, flickers as it dances. Slowly, it grows taller, reaching up high. Crackling amidst the silence. The charred smell became stronger, filling my lungs.

Warmth surrounds me, the flames follow. It's heating, scorching me. I snap open my eyes. It's not a dream.

Everything is dark, but I'm surrounded by fire. Hot, crackling dangerously. My apartment is smoldering down around me. The walls, the floor, are crumbling.

The smoke sets my lungs ablaze with every panic filled breath. I try to stand, but my body is so heavy. I can barely move.

Get out. Get out. Get out NOW. With one desperate push, I fall off the edge and on to the floor.

Fuck. I'm going to die. Right now, I am going to die. I'm so scared. I can't breathe. I'm burning, but I can't move.

I jolt as a loud crack sounds over the roaring of the wood burning and crashing around me.

"JIA, ARE YOU HERE?!" Someone's yelling my name. I make out a silhouette through the blur of my tears and the heavy smoke in the air. It's getting closer.

"Jia, fuck. Quick, give me your arms," my heart thumps as I see a blurry Yoongi reaching down to me and I throw my arms up.

"Yoongi" I cough harshly. It hurts. He lifts me up in his arms. I've never felt so relieved in my entire life as he held me.

"Close your eyes and breath into my shirt," Yoongi instructed. I nodded and burrowed my face into him, shielding me from the stinging of the smoke and flames. I felt Yoongi move, but I couldn't see a thing. My heart was racing, panic crawling over every inch of my hot skin.

Soon enough, I felt the cool of the night air replace it. The bouncing of his stride felt like we'd reached the bottom of the stairs. He held me tightly, firmly, right up until the moment I felt him sit down.

"Jia, it's okay now. You're safe." His voice was hoarse, from the smoke or from emotion I couldn't tell. I coughed again, still feeling the sting of the smoke in my lungs.