It's back

As I wheezed, I grabbed around the back of the truck, barely hanging on before Sawyer swerved out of the parking lot. As we settled onto the road again, I leaned over and stumbled into the bed of the truck with a loud thump, before I winced loudly in pain. As I looked down, I found a sharp, shard of glass sticking into my rib cage. I groaned loudly, looking up to the dark sky as I closed my eyes tightly in pain. From above my head, I hear Dakota and Sawyer yelling over each other.
"That's my brother in there! We have to go back for him immediately!" Sawyer yelled, his voice became deeper as he became more angry.
"Sawyer, you know that's not possible! He's done, he is taken over by those monsters." Dakota attempted to speak calmly, but I could tell in his shaky voice that he was on edge. I then heard Sawyer start sniffling away tears. I looked down and noticed blood pouring from my side, touching it gently with a hand, blood smeared onto my palm, causing me to wince once again in pain and fear. I'd never been good in situations like these.
"He's my brother, why were they so obsessed with him? Why didn't they take me?" Sawyer paused, "What made him so special to them?"
"He wasn't special, Sawyer. They choose who they want and they take them. There ain't nothing ever special about the one they take, they're just unlucky souls."
"Wait, is Alana back there? Is she alright?" Sawyer finally had remembered my presence. Slugging my body up, I place my hand on the sliding window of his truck before Dakota crawled back and opened it.
"Why is there blood on your hand?" Dakota questioned with wide eyes.
"My side." I weakly replied with a slow blink.
"Oh no- Sawyer, we need a hospital." Dakota looked back at Sawyer who started driving quicker than before.
"No, we just need to get back to the house." He replies calmly.
"House? How's that supposed to help-
"Because we know what to do Dakota!" Sawyer had suddenly snapped back. Dakota stuck to silence before looking back down at me, grabbing ahold of my hand and tracing the top of my hand.
"You'll be okay." Dakota reassured.
"I'm sorry, Sawyer." I apologized weakly. Despite how quiet the statement had came out, I watched Sawyer's teary eyes look back in the rear view mirror at me with a frown, as if he were trying to push back the sadness in his face.

Slowly opening my eyes back up, I watched Sawyer, Berk and Dakota all stand around at the kitchen table. Had I passed out? I didn't remember much besides what had happened to poor George.
"I-I don't know how I'm going to tell Celeste, Polly, Mike." Berk says, looking down with a tight lip.
"I'll be the one to tell them. I'm the one that caused this, I'll be the one to handle it all." Sawyer replied with sniffles.
Berk walked over to Sawyer, forcing him to stand to his feet before tightly embracing his son.
"It ain't your fault son." Berk says. Just then, a horn beeped outside of the home.
"I guess I part ways now." Dakota says awkwardly before standing up. Sawyer then makes his way to Dakota before hugging him tightly.
"You be safe out there, ya hear? I know Olivia will make sure of that." Sawyer says with a weak smile. Dakota nods before walking out the house and to the vehicle. Sawyer and Berk sit back down.
"So, what's Alana gonna do when she wakes up?" Berk questioned him. I quickly close my eyes again to make sure he didn't catch me awake before he turned his head towards me.
"Uhm- well, I've got a few plans." Sawyer says.
"I think-I think you should make a life of your own now. You're a grown man, you know how to deal with life better than me, that's for sure." Berk says.
"But- the family-
Berk interrupted him, "I'm not saying you have to move across the state. Just- live in your own home that you earn. You shouldn't have to be the father of your siblings anymore. Get your own life back, and maybe even, a significant other too." Just then, I feel a pair of eyes staring at me, but I fought the feeling of opening my eyes as to not be possibly caught.
"I think I might have one already, but we'll see." Sawyer replied as Berk chuckled in response.

Six years later

Sawyer picked me up from work, which unfortunately wasn't the Red Man's forest. I couldn't be happy working there anymore, not after what happened. So, I was now working happily at the coffee shop with Jack. We drove silently together to our new home and once we arrived, I grabbed the flowers from the truck and we walked hand in hand to the huge backyard we shared. Stopping at the wooden cross, I gently placed them onto the grass underneath the cross.
"We miss you George. I'm- I'm sorry George." My eyes started burning with tears before Sawyer tightened his grip around my hand.
"Hey, it ain't your fault. It's neither one of our fault." Sawyer gently reminded me. I nodded before standing up and hugging him tightly.
"I'm sorry." I apologized once more to him. Since the day we moved in, I had carried a guilt with me, feeling as if I could've done something, anything to save his little brother from those heartless creatures. He always repeated that it wasn't my fault and that I had tried my best, but I couldn't help but still feel the same, just a little. We've had emotional talks about it and had even had arguments about it with either one of us crying.
"You're right, I'm sorry." I said again with a smile.
He wiped the tear that strolled down my cheek, "Now stop apologizing." He chuckled with red eyes.
"Okay okay. Uhm- I've got to water the flowers so-Uh, just get to dinner without me. I'll be inside in a minute." I tell him as he smiles before walking inside our home. I sighed heavily before picking up the watering can and pouring it carefully over the flowers. As I did so, I hear a twig snap from behind me. Turning around, I see George. The same clothes he had worn that day, but dirtier. His hair the same length still.
"No, this isn't real." I shook my head, tears welcoming into my eyes once more.
"I remember this place so well." He spoke, but in a voice that wasn't quite his. Something was off yet I couldn't determine what it was.
"You're not George." I said before rushing passed him and ignoring eye contact any longer. Though, I still heard him following me quickly. Finally, I dropped the can and ran inside before locking the door. To my surprise, Sawyer stood in the hall with a shotgun.
"It's back, isn't it?"
"How did you know?"
"I didn't tell you this before, but I've known it's been here for awhile now."
"What do we do now?" I questioned him, still blocking the door.
"Move, again."

The Legend FarmOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara