Tough nut George

As we pulled into the Legend's farm, Sawyer stood on the porch along with George and Berk who stared at us as we came to a stop.
"Why do I feel like you're in trouble?" I mumbled to Mike who glanced to me with a smirk.
"If I'm in trouble, so are you." He laughs before hopping out of the truck before walking up to my slashed vehicle, as Jeff soon follows from behind. Making my way up to the porch, Sawyer crosses his arms.
"You gotta do an errand run with George, and this time, it's a real one." Sawyer sassed me.
"Sawyer, it was an errand. It was to get my vehicle up and running." I defended. George gently taps my arm before nodding to Berk's truck. "We should get going." As I followed George from behind, I glance back at Sawyer who was now eyeing Mike and his friend down with annoyance as Berk held the same expression. Like father, like son.

"So, do you have any hobbies?" I asked George. The car ride was silent, but it wasn't anything strange as for George was the most polite and also most quiet child of Celeste and Berk.
"I play some guitar." He shrugged his shoulders.
"Really? Do you have any inspirations?" Without answering me, he turns on the radio as a song begins to play.
"Johnny Cash, huh?" I said with a smile. In my prevail, I can spot the smallest smile coming from George.
"Yeah, he's always been my favorite since being little." He replied.

As we drive into a general store, the dust raises into waves before the truck stops. We walk through the aisles and while George picks up specific things, looking down at his phone every once in a while, I began to think of a topic once again.
"So, what're you doing for college?" I questioned.
He stops momentarily, "Uh, I'm not sure yet." He replied before continuing picking up randomized items from the shelf. Well, aren't you a tough nut to crack?
"Come on, I'm just trying to get to know you." I smiled at him.
"What's the point, I'll never see you again once you leave." He shrugs me off. I know it shouldn't have hurt, but it did. And so for the remainder of the time we spent in the old store, I stuck to being quiet as so did George, of course.

"I didn't mean for that to come off as rude." George abruptly spoke as we drove back to the home.
I chuckled, "No, it's okay. I understand."
"I don't really know what I'm going to do for college. I just want to be a famous guitarist really, but our family isn't suited for that type of thing." He admitted to me as he drove.
"Well, it's not your family that wants to be a guitarist, it's you. It's your dream." I reminded him. We pulled into the driveway.
"I suppose so." He spoke.
"Just- don't ever let go of your dreams. Okay?" I looked at him.
He smiled back at me for the first real time, "Okay." He laughed.

I brought out some lemonade for the both of Mike and Jeff who were still at my car.
"Any recovery yet?" I asked anxiously.
"We're halfway there, however." He pauses as he stands. I was afraid of this.
"But what?" I said.
"You'll have to pay me something, I can't do work for free." He admitted to me. Mike nearly spits out his lemonade as Jeff said this.
"What? You never had me pay you." Mike interrupted.
"Well, it's not your car I'm fixing. Alana, right? It'll be one-fifty." Jeff informs me. My eyes nearly fell out at the price.
"But-but I don't have enough." I replied.
He instead shrugs, "Well, you can't leave until you pay me." He says, holding up my car keys before tossing them to Mike and going back to his car.
"I'll be home, you can leave the money on my porch." He hollers before driving out of the driveway. I groaned loudly as I kept my hands on my temples as Mike watched me as if I were an animal at a zoo for his entertainment as he sipped on his lemonade.
"Mike, why don't you just give me my keys?" I asked with sudden kindness.
He raised his eyebrow at my mood change, "Not happening. He's my best friend, you'll have to pay him."
I took a step closer to him as he took a step back, "Mike, please." I begged him.
His lips turned into a wide smile, "You want them bad? Well, you'll have to chase me then." He says before suddenly sprinting off with me on his tail. As I run after him in the darkening yard, I huff as I quickly run out of breath. Besides me, desperately breathing for any breath, I hear Mike, giggling like a little boy as I tried to catch up with him but he was too fast. As our chase continued on, a sudden voice boomed from the front porch.
"Get inside now." Sawyer's voice echoed through the yard as he stood on the porch. Mike froze for a moment before going inside. I took a deep sigh before following from behind until Sawyer stops me.
"You know the rules and yet you act like a child." He hisses at me.
"You should be telling your brother that." I spat back at him, pushing his hand off my wrist before entering the home.

As we finished up dinner, I made my way up to the guest bedroom and became comfortable on the bed. As I lay there, thinking about how I'm going to pay Jeff, the door began to creak open. I chose to ignore it, until I feel a dip in the bed.
"I apologize for how I acted towards you earlier." Sawyer spoke softly as to not awaken his family.
"It's fine." I replied.
He sighs, "If there's anything I can do to make up for it, let me know." I quickly sat up with a smirk on my face.
"Actually, there is." I replied as he turned his head to the side.