10. Dhum Tana Na 2

Start from the beginning

The old man regarded me. He stared at me like he was looking straight into my soul. I had a hard time holding his gaze but I was too stubborn to back down. I barely blinked while staring at him with as much determination as I could muster.

If soap operas taught me anything, it's that for some reason it's easier to get the respect of the male family members compared to the female members. I didn't plan on staying with the Sinha family forever, but I planned on not living like a slave for the duration that I did stay with them.  So, if I could get Ranajit Sinha to side with me, I would likely have a bearable experience. But of course I had to start antagonising him. I wouldn't be me if I did stuff that made sense.

Surya's mother brought out the welcome platter with an irritated expression and handed it to Ritwik's mother. She took it and walked to me angrily. She then quickly finished the welcoming ritual as the woman who scolded the young girl moved about placing a white saree close to the door. The girl grabbed the plate on the table. It was filled with a red liquid (alta). As Ritwik's mother moved away, she placed it close to the door and quickly grabbed a pot filled with uncooked rice near the threshold. I kicked it gently causing the rice to spill. Then the girl placed the plate filled with the red liquid in place of the pot. I dipped my right foot in it first and then my left foot. I stood in it for a couple seconds before walking placing my right foot on the white saree and walking on it.

Ritwik took that as a cue to leave the scene. He began to angrily climb the stairs. I figured was supposed to follow him but the girl stopped me. I raised an eyebrow.

"You're not supposed to stay with him tonight."

"Why?"

"Kalratri."

"Oh."

I followed her as she lead me to a different room.

"I'm Kajol. You can also call me Kaju. You'll stay with me for tonight."

I nodded and smiled at her. "My name is Dyutilekha but I prefer Dyuti."

She smiled back at me.

"No. You can't stay here. You will corrupt my daughter."

I turned around to see the woman who had been scolding Kaju.

"Maa." Kaju tried to shush her mother.

She simply glared at her. "No. She will stay with Meenu today and probably for the rest of days she stays here."

My ears perked up. I knew Meenu. She worked for the family. Over the last few months that I worked as Ritwik's assistant, I had to show up at his house multiple times and each time it was Meenu who I interacted with. She was a fun woman and close to my age, maybe a couple years younger.

"Maa! What are you saying? Notun Boudi can't stay with Meenu Di! Dadasaheb will not accept it."

"See, you spent just a few minutes with her and you're already back-chatting with me. She's a horrible influence. She's better off with the maid."

I blinked.

This can't be real, right?

I knew Ritwik and Surya. They were very respectful to everyone around them. Sure, they were demanding and sometimes too high up their own ass to listen to other suggestions but never have I seen them look at someone subordinate to them with a condescending attitude. Their family members couldn't be so rude, could they? I just probably caught them on a bad day.

Yepp, that's it.

Not wanting to get the young girl in more trouble, I intervened, "Show me Meenu's room, please."