The Sokovia Accords

Author POV

A Week Later

Peter is walking towards Wanda's room and he hears a news report and stops when he see's Wanda watching it, and he walksnin and turns it off, "sorry Wanda, but it's not healthy to watch that right now", he says. Sheblooks at him as he sits next to her, "it's all my fault, I did that", "no, it's not your fault, the fault belongs to that Rumlow guy, he set off the bomb", "but I-", "but nothing, sometimes things happen that you can't control", Peter says.

Wanda just looks at him as he holds her hands, "you did great, you were awesome, thus Rumlow guy is the whibset the bomb off, you did what you had to", he says, "Peter's right Wanda", they hear and see Steve at her door, "it's my fault for getting distracted, he said something to me and I got distracted". Steve goes next to both Peter and Wanda, "like I said Steve, we made mistakes but we didn't set off that bomb", says Peter.

As Peter finishes that sentence, Vision phases through the wall, "hey Vis, we talked about this", "sorry, but I thought I'd tell you we have a visitor", "who?", asks Steve, "The Secretary of State", says Vision, as he leaves through the door, "wait, what's he doing here?", "dont know, but somethings tell me we aren't gonna like it", says Steve, as Peter and Wanda follow him out of Wanda's room.

At the meeting room, Peter sits next to Wanda to comfort elder on the left side of the table with Sam, while Rhodey, Natasha and Vision sit on the right side, with Steve between them both and Tony in the back.

"Five years ago, I had a heart attack, I dropped right in the middle of my back-swing. Turned out to be the best round if my life, because after 13 hours of surgery and a triple bypass, I found something 40 years in the Army had never taught me, Perspective, the world owes the Avengers an un-payable debt".

Peter knows somethings coming, he can sense it, "You gave fought for us, risked your lives.... but while a great many see you as heroes, there are some... who would prefer the word, vigilante", says Ross, looking at Peter.

"And what word would you use, Mr. Secretary?", "How about dangerous?". Everyone just looks at him while some turn away, but Peter just comforts Wanda, which grabs Steve's attention, but he thinks he's doing it as a friend.

"What would you call a group of US-based, enhanced individuals who routinely ignore sovereign borders and inflict their will wherever they choose and who, frankly, seem unconcerned about what they leave behind?"

They all turn to a TV screen as he plays different kinds of footage, "New York". Hulk is shown jumping onto a building and dropping debris, which Natasha, Steve and Tony flinch.

Then a giant lizard is shown, attacking a man who's taking a video, which makes Peter just look down in shame.

"Washington DC". A Helli-Carrier is shown dropping into the Potomac.

"Sokovia". The city is shown in the air, during the Ultron attack. Wanda shows a saddened face, which Peter and Steve notice.

"Lagos". The burning building is shown, with paramedics arriving, making Wanda flinch.

Steve notices her reaction, "Okay, that's enough", he says.

Ross turns off the footage and looks at them, "For the past 4 years you've operated with unlimited power and no supervision. That's an arrangement the governments of the world can no longer tolerate. But I think we have a solution."

Ross grabs a large packet of papers and sets it in front of Peter, but Wanda grabs it, "The Sokovia Accords".

Rhodey asks for the packet and Wanda passes it to him, "Approved by 117 countries... it states that the Avengers shall no longer be a private organization. Instead, they'll operate under the supervision of a United Nations panel, only when and if that panel deems it necessary."

Peter just looks at the packet, "The Avengers were formed to make the world a safer place. I feel we've done that." Steve says.

"Tell me, Captain, do you know where Thor and Banner are right now?  If I misplaced a couple of 30 megaton nukes... you can bet there'd be consequences."

"Compromise. Reassurance. That's how the world works. Believe me, this is the middle ground." 

"So, there are contingencies." Rhodey says. 

"Three days from now, the UN meets in Vienna to ratify the Accords. Talk it over."

Ross goes around the table to leave but stops, "And if we come to a decision you don't like?" Natasha asks. 

"Then you retire."