FORTY TWO. (land of the living)

I could have sworn my heart was beating out of my chest

I could have sworn my heart was beating out of my chest. My lungs were burning but all I could focus on was getting the hell off that damn boat.

I forced myself to run faster, racing towards any sign of the other pogues. As I rounded the deck my eyes widened at the cross currently dangling from a crane.

"Elle!" Pope yelled to me, watching as I looked up and my eyes widened. "Hey there, need any help?" I laughed, tearing my eyes from Pope sitting in the crane.

"Yes! So are you gonna stand there or help me?" Cleo yelled at me, making me shake my head and run forward.

"get that side," Cleo told me, side-stepping with the rope in her hand. I reached forward and grabbed on, using my weight to keep it stable.

"is John B with you?" Cleo asked, looking over at me.

"He's with Sarah getting the lifeboat," I told her, stabling myself before I started to slip. "Hey, Pope! Move it more that way. Over the water!" Cleo shouted at Pope, the boy listening and I watched as the cross began to move.

"Come on! To the right more!" I shouted at him, and both Cleo and I got startled by the sound of gunshots.

I whipped my head back to see a man shooting upwards at the crane and towards Pope. "oh shit, shit" I cursed, regaining my grip on the rope.

"Hey! Get down! Get out of there!" Cleo yelled up at Pope. "Pope" I shouted. "Drop the line," Pope told both of us, Cleo looked up at me and we shared a look.

"Why?" Cleo questioned.

"We're pinched. Just do it!" Pope directed. "Are you sure?" Cleo asked, both of us still holding on tightly to the rope and cross.

"Yes! Drop it" He told us.

"Okay, fine" I agreed, taking a look over at Cleo and nodding. Cleo counted down and both of us released the rope at the same time, the break of tension causing us to stumble slightly.

"get down here!" Cleo yelled at the boy. "Pope, come on!" I shouted up at him, watching as he pressed a button and began to climb up and over the crane. The cross was starting to drop rapidly but I kept my eyes on Pope as he finally dropped from the crane and ran over to us.

"We gotta go!" I shouted, the three of us running towards the edge of the boat and jumping off into the water as gunshots were fired at us.

The air was cool and I barely had time to register the jump before I hit the water. I opened my eyes while under the water but quickly pushed myself to the surface, looking around to make sure Pope and Cleo both resurfaced as well.

"Are you okay?" Pope asked, looking between us.

"yeah," Cleo let out, nodding.

"Elle?" Pope questioned, swimming closer to me. "uh-huh" I answered with a nod, already tiring myself from treading the water.