FIFTEEN. (icing)

"Holy shit! Oh my god," I shrieked, my mouth falling open as my eyes widened. I was in a state of shock and my brother sent me a pleading look.

"Hello, Laney" He freaked out, trying to break me from my trance.

"oh my god," I let out, covering my mouth with my hand. My eyes crinkled as I began to smile wide. "help me, oh god. What do you think?" Sam uttered.

"It's good, it's good I promise" I finally said, jumping down from the counter to hug him.

I could feel him relax as I hugged him, wrapping his arms around me eventually. "can you maybe not sit there looking at me like I'm crazy for five minutes ever again?" I laughed into his shoulder at his words and he began to laugh too.

"I can't believe this" I let out, I was beaming as I pulled away. "I want it to be special," He told me, nervousness washing back over him.

"I can't believe you're gonna propose." I continued, pulling him back into another hug.

"Are you upset I asked you to stay back?" Sam asked. "no, not at all." I assured him, my smile staying on my face. "so, I was thinking we could all have a nice dinner. Maybe you could invite your friend Madison?" Sam asked and I nodded.

"Wanna help me ice the cake?" He asked, getting a nod from me.

Help was an exaggeration, as all I seemed to do was eat the frosting and hum along with the songs I played from Sam's speaker. Once he finally gave up on trying to get me to help I jumped back onto the counter, the ring box in my hands as I admired the band.

"what do you think?" Sam asked, stepping back himself to look at the cake. "it looks like it'll taste good." I sang, closing the ring box as I grabbed the bowl of leftover frosting.

"I meant does the cake look nice?" He sighed, sending me another pleading look.

"Sam, it's perfect. He's going to love it. Stop stressing so much and go get ready" I ushered him from the kitchen.

"wanna order some Chinese food so it'll be here when he gets off work?" Sam asked, leaning his head out from his bedroom. "okay" I called back, walking over to the sink to rinse the bowl.

I looked up to the backyard from the window and I took a breath. I wasn't mad he had asked me to stay back but more disappointed I couldn't be with the pogues. Though I began to smile again when I thought about the ring and the fact my brother was going to propose to Derek tonight.

I pulled my phone from my pocket and almost began to type out a message to Madison. I stopped myself, bringing my hand to my face and biting nervously at my nails.

I shook my head before walking down the hall toward my bedroom. I pulled a joint from my bedside table. It didn't take long to smoke and I let the feeling wash over my body.