TWENTY THREE. (silence)

I sat in the living room at the Chateau, watching the door

 I sat in the living room at the Chateau, watching the door. I kept periodically glancing down at my phone, waiting to see if she'd text. The she that I was referencing was none other than Kiara Carrera.

The girl had called about twenty minutes earlier and told me to be ready at the Chateau with a joint and some beers. And I was there, waiting.

"Please don't ask questions but can you go to the chateau with some beers and a pre-roll? I just, please." Kiara's rushed words made me begin to panic.

"of course, I'm grabbing the stuff right now" I assured the girl, my heart breaking at the sound of the girl starting to cry.

"thank you" Kiara got out, sniffling after and then hanging up the phone. I couldn't lie and say it didn't worry me but Kiara asked me not to ask questions and I didn't want to upset her more so I did as she asked and a few minutes later I was crossing the yard and heading to John B's.

I glanced down at my phone another time, a text from Madison waiting to be answered. The same text that Sarah saw and the same text we had talked about that afternoon.

MADISON
I'm sorry, I just thought we were maybe more than hooking up. I shouldn't of told your friends we were dating. But I heard about John B. Wanna come over and drink? I also have the good stuff too;))

I stared down at the text and so did Sarah. I looked up with a slightly panicked look and watched as Sarah's brows furrowed before she looked away from the screen.

"you and Madison aren't dating?" Sarah asked and if I would have paid more attention to the girl's tone I would've caught the way she sounded upset for me.

The text from her sister came next and I read it aloud to her before getting up and walking back out to the deck. Fleeing the awkward situation with the blonde.

ELAINESorry, phone was off. I can't tonight, Kie needs me. Text you tomorrow?

MADISON
okay.

I didn't have time to react to the text as Kiara stormed through the door. She was wet from the rain and she was already pacing. "Jesus, what happened?" I stood, concern filling me as I looked at the tears in her eyes.

"Kie" Before I could say anything else Kiara crossed the room and wrapped her arms around me. I wrapped my arms quickly around the girl and held her close.

When we pulled away I looked up at Kiara with sad eyes. "What happened?" I asked but Kiara ignored the question.

Kiara walked over to the case of beer and took one out, pulling the tab open and tilting her head back to chug. She finished two beers before sitting down and looking over at me.

It was new for me to see the girl act like this, it worried me but I didn't want to pick too deep at the girl. "do you have that joint?" It was the first thing she had said and I just nodded, pulling it from my pocket and passing it to her before grabbing a lighter and handing it to her too.