EIGHTEEN. (surprise)

My bare feet practically burned as I sprinted over to the dock, the wood surely giving me a splinter

My bare feet practically burned as I sprinted over to the dock, the wood surely giving me a splinter. Before I knew it I threw myself into John B's arms and it felt like I would collapse.

I wrapped my arms around his neck and let out a small gasp as I felt my feet leave the dock, the boy leaning back as he held me. I thought I'd wake up in my bed any second but when we pulled away, he was still there.

"what the fuck" I let out, pushing myself from his arms, my face stained with tears. He stared at me, silent as I covered my mouth with my hand, sobbing into it.

"I thought you were dead, we all did" I cried, letting the boy pull me into another hug. "how'd you even get here? I thought you were in the Bahamas" I said, pulling back from his chest.

"surprise?" He said, turning his face as I hit my fist against his chest.

"hi" Sarah let out, and it was as if I finally realized she too was standing there. "hi" I breathed, turning and allowing Sarah to wrap her arms around me too. I shut my eyes as we hugged, hoping that if it was a dream I'd wake up soon.

"we're here too you know" JJ interrupted, smiling at me when I looked at him. I pulled away from Sarah before rolling my eyes.

"weren't gone that long, I didn't miss you" I joked, hugging the boy when he stepped forward. "so does that mean you missed me?" John B finally said, and it felt like my breath got stuck in my throat.

"asshole, of course, I miss you guys" I laughed, wiping the tears from my eyes. I smiled to myself because this is what I wanted, him alive. For him to stand in front of me alive and to be able to hug him again.

"so any update on the gold? Shit, what about what happened with that thing in Charleston?" I asked, looking from Sarah and John B to the other three.

"that lady's fucking nuts" Kiara let out. "yeah, totally weird. She kept asking about this key" Pope told me and I took a second to lean against one of the posts on the deck.

"a key?" I raised my brows, looking between Pope and JJ who were nodding. "yeah, but she was for real about the evidence we could use to free John B, she has it" Pope responded.

"shit" I sighed, my eyes landing back on John B. "any luck?" I asked, switching back to the gold.

"nope, it got away" He huffed, his smile faltering.

"well shit, back to square one" I uttered, running a hand through my hair. "well that dampened the mood" JJ commented, making me laugh.

"so, what's next?" I asked, my brows furrowing as I looked over at Kiara. "you okay?" Kiara looked up and nodded. "just not exactly looking forward to a check-in at home. My parents probably already arranged my funeral" Kiara let out.

"I predict unpleasantries at the Heyward household after I left the truck in Charleston" Pope added, nudging his arm against me. I smiled before leaning into his side, his arm draping around my shoulders in a side hug.