FORTY. (surf trip)

I did not have a problem with confined spaces, in fact, I didn't mind at all being in them

I did not have a problem with confined spaces, in fact, I didn't mind at all being in them. However, the heat and the thick air that was ever so consuming in that storage container were sure to drive me crazy.

"I swear it's a million degrees in here" I complained, leaning my head back against one of the many boxes filling the space.

"maybe even a million and one" Kiara copied my actions, followed soon after by JJ doing the same. "we better get filthy rich for this" JJ let out and I let out a small laugh.

"I don't know how the money would help my current situation but I'm sure it couldn't hurt" I spilled my thoughts and when I received the looks from JJ and Kiara, I wished I hadn't.

"what do you mean? What happened?" JJ asked, sitting more upright, a flash of concern taking over his face. I looked at the two before looking down as I bit nervously at the inside of my lip.

"Elle?" Kiara questioned after another minute, the silence so deafening now.

"Elle, what the hell happened with Sam last night?" JJ asked, reaching out and placing his hand on my knee.

"Sam and Derek are moving and they're taking me with them and enrolling me in a private school. We were supposed to be leaving tonight." I had yet to speak any of this out loud though it was consuming me.

"oh" Was all that came from JJ and I tilted my head back. "yeah, oh"

"Well, if for any reason it makes you feel any better, my parents are sending me off to this program for troubled teens" Kiara added on and I shot my eyes over to the girl across from me.

"What?" Kiara nodded at me and I let out a sigh.

"wow, there really is nothing for us to lose huh?" JJ joked and we rolled our eyes before scoffing.

"Actually I take back what I said about the money, I'm probably gonna need it more than ever" I let out, my hands moving to fiddle with the laces on my shoes.

"no matter what happens, we've got you Elle" JJ reassured me, moving closer to me so I could lean against him.

"so" Kiara dragged out the word, getting both mine and JJ's attention again. "what will we do with the money, I mean do we still have the same goals from the night we swore to go full kook?" She asked, each of us sharing a look while the silence rose.

"that night feels like it was decades ago," JJ remarked, a slight smile gracing his lips. "yeah, that was the night Elle was granted pogue status" Kiara laughed, bringing back the memories of the night.

"We were all so happy that night, everything was in front of us. We were all so sure everything would go in our favour" I sighed, feeling JJ's hand slip into mine.

"so, Kie, you still wanna make that double album?" I asked, watching as Kiara laughed. She looked like she was weighing the option and she let her face rest into a smile.

"who knows" I laughed before leaning my head back.

"I dunno, I still want to give some money to my brother, God knows he deserves it" I shut my eyes and I let my senses be filled with the memory of that night.

I had thought of that night every so often, remembering how I felt so much love for the pogues after only knowing them a short time. I wondered if my life would have been more simple if John B hadn't been Sam's next-door neighbour or if I hadn't gone to the motel that one day.

"I've been thinking, when all of this is over, and we're just rolling in the dough, I'm gonna get a new board. I'm gonna deck it out, and I'm gonna go on a surf trip. I don't know where, but like, the world's calling. I don't know. Name a place" JJ let out, looking between us

"uh, Jamaica" I laughed. "Spain" Kiara added and JJ smiled.

"Okay, Jamaica then Spain, and then after south America, maybe South Africa. One of the south places. Then Micronesia maybe, and then just ride. Wherever the wave takes you, you know?" I smiled to myself and looked at JJ as he spoke.

"so that's the plan if we were to get a ton of cash? That's the dream? Surf trip?" Kiara asked, watching as the boy nodded.

"Ripping jungle break all day long. Bamboo hut, cooking a fish on a fire, and after that, you go back out and just hit the waves again. That's the dream" I could feel myself dreaming the same thing.

"sounds perfect" Kiara sighed.

"Yeah"

"got room for two more?" I asked, looking at Kiara and then at JJ.

"you got passports?" JJ asked and Kiara laughed.

"you don't have a passport," She told him and he chuckled.

"hell no, I don't got a passport. Kookiest thing ever" We laughed but when we heard a tap at the vent we got quiet. "Hey, guys, Open it" Pope's hushed voice let out. The three of us stood and JJ moved to pull the vent off.

Pope pulled himself in and Kiara held the vent in her hand. "I thought Rafe got you guys for sure," Kiara told the boy as he got himself through.

I felt myself calm as I saw John B pull himself in after Pope. I moved forward, grabbing his hand as he got through.

"Hey" John B whispered to me and I let my eyes flutter shut before pulling him closer so I could hug him. I would've stayed there forever if I could have but another girl's voice caught me off guard.

"Jesus Christ! I kill you, John B!" I pulled away from John B and stared over at the girl. "who is this?" I asked, turning to John B with a questioning look.

"Just relax, just relax okay," John B told me, trying to soothe me as he placed his hand on my arm. I watched as he looked up at the girl. "I told you I had a surprise right?"

"Who is she? What's going on? John B?" Kiara let out and I nodded, I was confused and truthfully quite nervous.

"Hey, hey. Kie, Elle, relax. Relax" He looked me in the eyes and I felt myself nod. When John B was sure I was at least a bit calmer he looked over to Kiara who was also asking questions.

"Remember I told you about the girl we met in the Bahamas that saved us?" John B asked Kiara and my brain felt scrambled.

"uh, Cleo, yeah?" Kiara let out and John B nodded before looking back up to the girl who came in through the vent with them.

"Cleo, she's gonna help us all right?" John B explained and even though I still felt confused I nodded again.

"Next time, ask me" Cleo scoffed at the boy, bringing herself down off the crates by the vent. I sent the girl a quick, wavered smile before turning back to John B.

"is everything okay? Did you find where Sarah is?" I asked the boy and he placed both hands on my shoulders, looking into my eyes.

"everything's fine, everything will be fine"