NINETEEN. (for a few hours)

"You have a girlfriend" John B's voice sounded almost in awe and I don't know why I didn't correct him

 "You have a girlfriend" John B's voice sounded almost in awe and I don't know why I didn't correct him. But that was a lie. I did know, the lingering knowledge that he was with Sarah fuelled the misunderstanding I could lie along with.

I bit back my laugh. I felt the tension between the three of us and rolled my shoulders, the feeling of Madison's hand connecting with mine.

"Elle!" JJ's voice boomed from the Chateau, the boy waving me over. "coming!" I shouted back, looking between John B and Madison quickly before walking towards the door. Unsure how I felt leaving the two alone.

"is that Madison outside?" Sarah asked from the window as I walked up the steps. "yeah, lover girl over here" Kiara joked, nodding her head over to me. I held back the way I wanted to disagree.

"holy shit" Sarah let out looking over to me with wide eyes. "it's new" Was all I managed to say, a lie, a big fat lie because Madison was not my girlfriend and I was not lover girl because I didn't want a relationship, I wanted a hookup. But that would make me sound like a bad person. Which, I know I am.

I leaned over, watching Madison and John B through the window now. The two looked timid and stiff as they talked to each other.

"are we going to have to deal with the possessive ex and new girlfriend?" JJ's whispered, his words making me roll my eyes.

"Me and John B never dated, he's not technically my ex" I avoided correcting the other part of his question. JJ scoffed at my comment before walking back to grab the cooler.

"Elle, can you help me with the lights?" Pope asked, his words pulling me from the window. "yeah" I couldn't tell if he was asking to purposely get me away from the group now forming outside with John B and Madison or if he genuinely needed help but I was thankful for the distraction, even if it only took a few seconds.

I hadn't realized how nervous I was to be near John B again. At first, I was so overwhelmed with how excited I was that he was alive and okay but now it was feeling like guilt and it was crawling up my throat to suffocate me.

I hadn't handled my feelings before jumping into bed with Madison and clearly, it was confusing her too. I was trying not to let myself feel annoyed that Madison's under the impression that we are dating.

"thanks" Pope let out as he passed me the box of string lights. "no problem" My voice was quiet, soft as if it would break any second.

"do you need a second?" Pope asked, pulling the box from my hands and placing it on the floor. "uh yeah, I think I do" I admitted and he nodded, placing a comforting hand on my arm.

"Are you and Madison together?" He asked and I looked at him with wide eyes. "what?" I asked, shocked slightly by the question.

"It just seems like you aren't, sorry"

"We aren't. I guess she thinks we are but I don't want that" He nodded and I looked down. "did Sarah talk about the two of them?" My question made me feel weak but it spilled off my tongue before I could think.