THIRTY FIVE. (the church)

"You know your brother's probably gonna call the cops right?" JJ let out as I drove

 "You know your brother's probably gonna call the cops right?" JJ let out as I drove. The two of us were heading back to where the pogues were stuck as fast as we could.

We both knew we should have been there a long time ago but Luke Maybank had to insert himself back into his son's life. "he probably already did" I reasoned, looking over at the boy.

"Elle, seriously I don't think he's gonna be happy when you get back" I rolled my eyes before pulling to the side of the path so we could back up to the water.

"I don't want to talk about this, okay?" He nodded before jumping out of the truck and walking over to the rest of the pogues.

"Where the hell were you guys?" Pope asked and as I got out of the truck I saw the four of them sitting on top of the Twinkie.

"family problems" I let out and JJ sent me a look before turning back to the pogues. "Luke was at the Chateau" He corrected me.

"oh great! While you were having family time with your pops, John B got bit by a gator" Pope said and my eyes shot to John B. "like for real?" "what? Are you okay?" JJ and I let out, shock running through me.

"Does it look like we're joking?" Sarah threw her hands up. "what the hell happened?" JJ stared at them.

"what happened? I got bit by a gator" "He got bit by a gator" John B let out as Pope and Sarah added on.

"you know, I put my ass on the line. Just stop yelling"

I breathed. This set off an argument between all of them. I placed my hand on my temple and tried to reason with the pogues.

I felt JJ rest a hand on my shoulder and I felt my body relax suddenly. "shut up!" JJ shouted over them and everyone turned their eyes to him.

"seriously guys I can't take it anymore, all right? Everyone just cut it out for a second" He let out a strangled laugh before leaning against the tree that was next to him.

"Look, I just helped my dad leave this island for good. Like he's not ever coming back. He's straight-up like the Spanish. Just, bon voyage" I furrowed my brows and looked towards Pope whose face was adorned with the same expression.

"That's not the right language" Pope whispered and I looked from them back to JJ with a confused look. "all we got, and I know for a fact all I got is you guys, okay? You're it" JJ let out, looking at each of them before continuing.

"And I've come too close to losing you, all of you. I mean shit, Pope was kidnapped, Sarah you've been shot, Kie, your parents almost shipped you off, and I'm sure as hell they're gonna try it again" He paused and looked over to me, "Elle you've literally almost died now like at least twice and John B, you were almost dinner for a freaking gator bro. So this blaming each other is some kook-ass bullshit, all right? We don't do that. Okay? We're pogues" He let out and I looked between the others, each doing the same.