THIRTY THREE. (cecilia tanny)

"all right so, word to the wise, definitely know that gators nest back here" JJ began spewing as he opened the van door

"all right so, word to the wise, definitely know that gators nest back here" JJ began spewing as he opened the van door. I rolled my eyes, knowing this would turn into something stupid, as it always did with JJ and his tales.

I was still sitting in the van, John B still beside me as well as the others got out. "you okay?" John B asked, turning to me with a look I couldn't quite place. "I'm okay" I got out, sending him a forced smile.

The truth was, I was still shaken up about seeing Bianca at Tanneyhill. I wasn't even sure how it happened and it scared me, but I could still feel the girl's touch on my cheek and could still smell her perfume.

If I could hear, smell, feel and see someone, how unreal could it be? I took a breath before opening the car door and stepping out, John B copying my actions.

"Keep your eyes peeled, okay? You don't want to step on a mama gator. That's the last thing you want" JJ warned.

"they have nests?" Kiara asked and although I too had the question, I wished she didn't ask it. JJ went on about a women's calf being bitten off by a gator in explicit detail and I rolled my eyes, picking up a stick and pushing leaves around with it as we walked.

I had tuned out the boy but when he grabbed the stick from my hand I was forced back into his story. He took the stick and slammed it into the water and I jumped back to avoid the splash.

"right, wake them up. That's smart" Sarah let out, looking at the boy like he was crazy. "I was just making sure there wasn't a gator" JJ defended.

"yeah all while making sure if there was any in the vicinity, they'd hear that. Idiot" I said the last part under my breath as I pushed past the boy.

Pope hushed us as he heard some noises from up further on the path. He motioned for us to duck and follow him. Before I could follow the boy John B laid his hand on my arm, an action that made me turn my attention to him.

"I'm sorry about everything, with Madison you know?" John B said barely above his breath. I scoffed and shook my head slightly.

"no, I'm serious" John B grabbed my arm to slow me and turn to face him. "it's okay, you can stop acting like you haven't been waiting to say 'i told you so', you can get that out of your system now if you need to." He kept his hold on my arm and he met my eyes.

"I'm sorry, that's all I wanted to say" He leaned down and kissed my cheek before pulling away. He didn't rush off but instead stepped forward and waited for me to follow suit, his hand held out for me. I bit the inside of my lip before connecting our hands and picking up our pace to meet with the pogues.

When we got to where the pogues were crouched down, we got a better view of what was happening. Limbrey spewed some orders to the men and watched as they lifted a wooden box up from the ground.