TWENTY SIX. (the fake key)

I sat in the passenger seat of Madison's car in silence

I sat in the passenger seat of Madison's car in silence. I would've walked if I could to avoid the tension between the two of us. Madison let out an audible huff as she pulled towards the store. She was upset to put it simply.

Earlier, after we ate out lunch we decided to take a walk around the small park next to the cafe. We were currently sitting on a bench.

"so, I know you didn't really want to talk about it but, is something going on between you and John B?" Madison asked as we sat.

"what do you mean?" I turned towards the girl. "the two of you seem like you're fighting" Madison stated, her eyes looking out at the water in front of us.

"We kind of are, he just said some stuff that hurt me and we're trying to work that out," I told her, and it was the truth.

"Well I hope you figure it out, I don't like seeing you upset" Madison leaned over and kissed my cheek and I smiled.

"Sorry, I guess since we aren't dating I shouldn't-"

"Listen, I uh, I'll admit, I didn't think you thought we were anything other than hookups. You seemed to understand what was going on and I just thought you knew"

"I'm just confused. You were the one who kissed me in the water at my house. You never said you were just looking for casual"

"I guess I just figured that when the only time we really saw each other was at night and when we weren't sober that it was clear to you, that's on me though" I looked down at my hands.

The silence consumed us and I tried to push the awkward feeling away. When my phone went off I almost thanked God out loud.

"Who is it?" Madison asked, meeting my eyes. "uh, it's Pope. He wants me to meet them at his dad's store" I told her as I read the text.

"uh, okay" We both stood, moving towards where she parked. I was just gonna grab my jacket but Madison stopped halfway there.

"I just don't get it" She let out and I raised my brow. "you let me talk about my dreams and what I wanted to do in the future. You opened up to about stuff, let me open up to you about stuff. And that was all just a hookup?" She sighed and ran a hand through her hair.

"Everything was going fine until Sarah fucking Cameron and John B showed up again and then it was like you vanished from thin air."

That's when it started to rain. Not even just rain but downpour and I heard Madison sigh. She stood at the door of her car and looked over at me impatiently.

"hurry up" She yelled and I furrowed my brows. "what?" I asked and Madison rolled her eyes. "get in the car, it's too far for you to walk to the store from here in the rain" I nodded and rushed over to the car, slipping into the seat and closing the door.

"you don't need to drive me," I told the girl and Madison laid her hands on the steering wheel. "you're my whatever and I'm not going to let you walk across the island in a storm." She pulled from the park and the guilt flooded through me.

As Madison pulled into a parking spot she glanced over and caught Laney's gaze. "listen. If we're just gonna be friends who hook up that's fine. I'm only with you, so, do what you need to. If you're free, I'll come see you later." I nodded and there was a brief moment where we just stared at each other but when I saw an older lady and a man walking away from the store I looked away.

I walked towards the store and I didn't know what to expect. "what was that about?" My question made the pogues turn their heads as I approached.

"the key" Pope told me and I raised a brow. "did you give it to them?" JJ chuckled from behind Pope. "nope" I looked past Pope to JJ and gave him a look.

"fake key?" I asked and the girls laughed. "how did you know that?" Sarah turned to me with a curious look. "JJ's face" They laughed and John B finally spoke. "we gotta take the tape to Shoupe"

"yes sir! Ward Cameron, we're coming for you, big boy" JJ let out with a laugh as the boys hopped down from the railing. I turned and I didn't fail to notice the way Sarah's smile dropped at his words. The blonde being brought back to the reality that her father was guilty. I fought the urge to comfort the girl, it wasn't my place.

I was confused when I saw Sarah get into the backseat of the van instead of in the front where she usually sat. JJ took the passenger seat and I settled in next to Sarah.

Again fighting the urge to ask her what was going on with her and John B, too afraid I would do it for the wrong reason. Too afraid I'd do it because I wanted to know if they were over rather than to comfort the poor girl so I bit her tongue.

When we got back to the Chateau Sarah pulled me aside. "We gotta talk" She let out and I nodded, following behind her to the hammocks.

They were a bit wet from the rain but I ignored it as I leaned back on them a bit. "What's up?" I asked and she shot a glance to the Chateau before turning back to me.

"You know me and John B aren't dating, right?" She asked and I furrowed my brows.

"no, I didn't know. I uh, didn't realize you broke up"

"We broke up the morning we took the boat out. Like way before we left. He was going to find you and I was supposed to meet him at the dock to get you and him last minute supplies in case you agreed to go with him. But he showed up alone and I didn't want him to go alone." Sarah explained and I tried to process everything in my head.

"we were done the second he took you to the church. He told me he knew you were the one. I'm sorry." I felt the guilt wash over me completely and I almost cried.

"Oh, Elle" Sarah leaned forward and pulled me into a hug. "I am sorry, and believe me, I know this wasn't my place but he was arguing with me earlier and it slipped out that you and Madison weren't together" I nodded and I let everything sink in.

We broke apart and moved back into the house. The boys were practically singing and dancing their way around the house, breaking out the beers as they got to the box.

"Ladies and gentlemen, Ward Cameron, King of the Kooks, is going to jail!" JJ shouted, cheering with the boys. The window was open but I was sure that even if it wasn't we'd be able to hear the boys anyway.

I turned to Sarah and for the first time, I knew the feeling of wanting to comfort her didn't come from any other place other than wanting the girl to know I was there.

"do you regret it?" Kiara asked, the girl twisting the bracelet on her wrist.

"No, he deserves all of it, and I know that," Sarah told the two of us, the blonde picking at her shoes. "He's your dad, I get it. I'm sure it sucks to be in the middle of it all." I watched as Sarah sent me a sad smile.

"It just hurts a bit to hear them so excited that my life's about to fall apart" Sarah admitted and I laid my hand out, giving it to Sarah. "and I know that they're not happy that it'll suck for me but it just feels like they aren't even considering it"

Things were gonna change between the group, the second Sarah's phone went off.