TWENTY. (tear-jerking moment)

"I think you killed the tree" John B stated as he stared at the carving the pogues and I had made

"I think you killed the tree" John B stated as he stared at the carving the pogues and I had made. "probably" I breathed, my tone light as air. I turned to him, my eyes scanning the side of his face. I looked away, back at the tree before he caught me staring but I had to fight the urge to look back.

"I really missed you" I let out, almost too quiet for the boy to hear. "I missed you too Elle," He told me, his finger pulling my chin towards him.

We were still standing apart but I felt like the distance between us diminishing. I looked him in the eyes and I felt the smile creep onto my face, seeing the world in his eyes.

I stepped forward, wrapping my arms around the boy's neck. The hug didn't last long but it felt like an eternity to me. I welcomed the feeling the hug gave me, wanting to bask in it forever.

"tear-jerking moment over here" JJ coughed, stepping towards us. "are you okay?" His tone changed from playful to concerned as he looked at me. I furrowed my brows until I realized I had tears falling from my eyes.

"I'm fine, just a bit overwhelmed I guess" I admitted, wiping my eyes with the sleeve of the flannel shirt was wearing.

"I'm gonna go sit with Sarah now," I told the boys, grabbing a beer from the cooler and walking over to the fire. It was burning lower now, most of the wood gone to only embers. Leaves crunched beneath my feet and Sarah looked up from the fire.

"hey," Sarah smiled. I returned the smile before sitting back in my chair, the fire already warming me. "I know we haven't gotten to know each other that well but I am really glad that you're okay and back," I admitted. I picked up a stick and began to play with the fire a bit as I spoke.

"I'm glad that you're okay too, I heard about what my brother did to you. Is your arm okay?" I chuckled a bit at the question, I had almost forgotten all about my wrist and Rafe.

"yeah, I'm fine" I assured the blonde girl. "is that the boat?" Sarah asked, looking past me and out to the water.

"What?" I asked, turning around and looking too. "oh my god" I let out, standing to get a better view of Pope and Kiara taking off.

"have a good time!" Sarah shouted to them, John B and JJ turning to look now too. I whistled loudly before howling at the pair, Sarah and I breaking out into laughter.

"There he goes, he jacked your boat dude," JJ told the boy next to him, waving at the boat. "pogues pocking on the pogue" John B let out, sighing before turning back to the fire.

"And then there were four" JJ joked as he sat in the chair next to me, John B sitting by Sarah. "final four" I laughed, holding my beer up in cheers before taking a big sip. I couldn't help but meet John B's eyes from the other side of the fire, looking away a moment after and adding to JJ and Sarah's conversation.

When the car door shut, John B was the only one to notice. "wait, wait, wait, what was that?" He asked, halting the conversation.

"your chicken?" JJ questioned, the boy only hearing that. "I heard a car door" John B stated. JJ began to cluck like a chicken but John B's hand soon covered his mouth, silencing him. I followed John B's gaze and looked over to the side of the house, listening closely for the noise he mentioned.