FOURTEEN. (game of tag)

"I wish I stayed in bed" I let out as I walked into my history class

 "I wish I stayed in bed" I let out as I walked into my history class. JJ trailed behind me and walked with me to our seats.

"too bad huh?" Kiara sighed, taking her seat as well. "are you even ready to take this test?" Pope asked the group but his eyes went to me.

"let's just get this over with" I groaned, taking a test from my teacher's hand as he passed them out. "good luck" JJ joked from beside me and I bit back my laughter when Mr. Sunn turned and glared at the two of us.

I wrote my name at top of the sheet and glanced over the page. I really should have paid attention in class. I looked to my right at JJ and sent him an annoyed look.

I coloured in some of the bubbles on the multiple-choice questions at will, not paying much attention to the actual question or answer.

Kiara turned and looked at me, the two of us sharing a quick look before turning back to our own papers. Mr. Sunn stood at the front of the class, watching over us as we took the test.

When an unfamiliar man appeared at the doorway and called over the teacher Kiara and I both looked up. I tried to focus enough to read their lips, as if I had ever been able to do it before.

"We're in the middle of a test," Mr. Sunn told the man, looking back to the class, I quickly looked back down at my paper. "I'm from the Vanderhorst Foundation" I looked over to Pope and Kiara.

"Mr. Heyward, it's for you," Mr. Sunn told Pope, the bogus and I watched as he stood and walked to the hallway. "what's that about?" JJ whispered, leaning over slightly.

"I think it's about his scholarship," I told the boy, shooing him when I saw Mr. Sunn begin to look up from his desk.

Pope was only in the hall a moment or two but I couldn't seem to focus back on the test. I tapped my pencil against the side of my desk lightly as I kept glancing at the door. When Pope finally did walk back in it was more of a storm and Kiara sent me a confused look.

As Pope sat down he flashed the envelope he held in his hand to us. I squinted to try and see the wax melt better, the gold wax was stamped with the wheat symbol. "oh my god" I let out, my voice still quiet.

"what the fu-fu-fudge" JJ let out, correcting his language as the teacher sent him a look. I took a breath before turning back to my test, circling and writing random answers until the bell finally rang.

The pogues and I shot up, leaving our tests sitting on the desks as we rushed out of the classroom. The four of us made our way towards the library.

"Is this a game of tag?" JJ asked, walking through the doors. "am I gonna have to beat you with your protractor? What's going on?" JJ asked loudly, getting shushed by the librarian.

"seriously Pope, you are driving us insane" Kiara whispered, finding a spot in the library to sit down.

"Okay, so that guy was from the scholarship committee. Take a look at this. Read it" Pope told them, letting JJ take the letter from his hand.