THIRTY FOUR. (bad influences)

"I am not driving this time" I let out as we got back to the van

"I am not driving this time" I let out as we got back to the van. "oh come on, you did such a great job on the way here" John B teasingly joked, walking to the other side of the Twinkie.

"shut up" I rolled my eyes, opening the passenger side door as the rest got into the back of the van. "whatever, just one of you drive!" Pope insisted, leaning between the front seats.

JJ found an old spyglass in the tree and the inscription led them to the church, hence Pope's urgent tone. "you heard him, drive" I said as I climbed into the van, closing the door once I was in.

"Okay, okay" John B laughed, turning the van on and pulling from the spot.

We didn't make it far down the path before it disappeared into water. "ah crap, the tide" Pope sighed and we slowed to a stop.

"This does not look good" I let out, looking at the water and then next to me at John B. "how deep is it?" Kiara asked, leaning forward to get a better look.

"I dunno, the roads gone," John B told her.

"the tide rose a little faster than I thought it would"

"just a little bit" John B replied sarcastically.

"uh, John B, how high are the spark plugs?" JJ asked and I looked back to John B for his answer. "they're good, we're fine" He let out and JJ sighed.

"no, how high are they?" JJ and Pope both asked again and John B leaned out the window. "oh um, uh, just above the tail light"

"Okay, so that's what, three feet?" I asked, turning around and facing the back of the van.

"that's three feet, yeah" JJ nodded and I watched as Kiara leaned over and looked out the window. "That water can't be three feet deep," Kiara said as she sat back down. I looked out the windows while the rest of the pogues continued to talk about the water and getting across.

I felt a hand rest on my leg and I turned back to the conversation. "fasten your seat belts. Hold on to something. We're going into hyperdrive" John B said, squeezing lightly on my thigh before turning back to the wheel.

"I'm gonna say a prayer" JJ whispered behind me and I rolled my eyes at him. "three, two, one" John B let out. We spun in the mud for a second or two before the van finally took off.

Each of their shoutings became indistinctive to me. "you got this! You got this" I shouted to the boy.

"Faster, Faster!" JJ urged, once again leaning up between the two front seats. I could swear we were going to make it and we almost had. We were cheering and shouting but the van turned and went straight into more water.

"no, no, no, no, no" John B tipped his head back before letting it drop forward and rest against the steering wheel. We were officially stuck.

"I think we miscalculated" Pope sighed and I watched as Sarah held up her fingers mockingly. Everyone had gotten out except John B and me.